1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I get Surround Sound from Nicam Stereo

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JPC, Jan 24, 2002.

1. JPC

JPC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im thinking of buying a 43inch Toshiba Nicam Stereo TV.

Would i still be able to get Surround Sound, Dolby Digital, and the rest if I connect an AV Amp?

Or do I have to buy a TV with Surround Sound & Dolby Digital in oder to get them??

Thanks in advance JPC:)

2. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Think of your TV as an output for video alone, don't worry about the speakers inside it.

Adding an A/V amplifier would also require a speaker setup, usually 5 speakers and a sub, and a Dolby digital source, such as a DVD deck.

In doing this the TV speakers become dormant, the amplifier does all the work.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    A Nicam TV will only give you stereo. A Dolby Digital TV will give you Pro Logic surround sound from TV programmes and video as 5.1 digital surround sound sound is only available from DVD or some Sky films if you also have the Sky + package.

An external amp and speakers will give you a better quality sound but it will still only be pro logic from TV broadcasts.

4. JPC

JPC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply's guys!

What im basicly asking is...... could I feed the audio output from the Nicam TV into a surround Sound Amp and the amp still get the necassary information to produce surround sound when surround sound is being transmited?

or wouldnt the information get through to the amp?

Kind Regards JOHN P C

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In a word, yes

6. IanB

IanB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have (compared to most of my fellow posters) a very basic set up, I have an Aiwa Nicam Stereo TV, a Technics Dolby Pro Logic amp and interconnectors that would make you laugh....

...however, I watched Buffy on BBC 2 last night, turned the sound down on my TV, switched the amp to the TV channel, set the speaker position to 'Surround' and was amazed! The echo on the first slayers voice (where she dances round the fire and Buffy is asking her questions) came from the surround speakers, the dialogue came from the centre and the opening credit whooshes... well... whooshed! :cool:

I keep missing the BBC news, but I reckon their signature tune must be good candidate for similar treatment!

7. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,660
    John PC, can I direcet you towards some basic 'connectin up' pages in the articles pages of home cinema choice, what video & TV and total DVD websites. You can get to the sites via the menu at the top of the window. 'Official forums of...'

8. JPC

JPC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks everyone!!

These forums are a great source of information!

Wonderfull stuff!!

Kind regards John PC