1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i get sorted with £1500

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by slart, Sep 17, 2005.

1. slart

slart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it possible to get a screen and a projector for 1500. i was thinking of a plasma or dlp tv but as i only want to watch movies really big and not normal tv would a projector be the way to go.

ta

slart

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    yep

thats the quick answer...lol

depending on what u prefer u got lotsa options at that price point

brand new Infocus Screenplay 4805, with a decent screen and some cables and should have money left over.....or u can up that to a refurbished 5700 by Infocus, depending on where u get it u might have enuff for a simple manual screen leftover......those are DLP models, i've seen them, and they pretty good, or u could go with an LCD model....but regardless, the picture at that price point now is fairly good....and u can get a screen size twice that of a plasma ;-)
    best idea would be to read a bunch of threads on this forum, then go shopping around on and offline for offers...

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello slart

You have more than enough in your budget to purchase a very decent DLP or LCD Home Theatre projector, manual pull down screen, cables and possibly even a ceiling mount (if required).

I'd ensure anything you consider is 'HD Ready' or at least 'HD Compatible' so your ready to plug in any HD sources you decide to purchase in the next couple of years.

ThemeScene have the H30A DLP, Sanyo have the PLV-Z3 LCD, Sony have the HS... lots of options to consider; have a read through a few threads and see what folk are using. comparing and discarding.

Best regards

Joe

4. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If you can a few weeks then the highly anticiapted Sanyo Z4 and Panasonic AE900 projectors come out. These sound fantastic and should be within your budget (inc screen and cables).

Like others have said, have a browse around this forum and gather info.

Some questions you might ask yourself...

1) How big is the cinema room, what would be the optimum picture size and seating distance. It might be worth reading about "Throw" and "Lens Shift"

2) Can the room be totally light controlled for complete darkness so that lumen output is less important or do you need a projector with a little higher lumen output (e.g. 1200-1600) to compensate for a room with a light on.

3) Do you suffer from DLP rainbows? if you dont know then don't risk it, demo a DLP projector at a dealer first. Also read up on Rainbows here in the forum.

4) What connections will be attached to the projector, does the project support your connections for now and the future (e.g. High Def)

5) Do you have kids? Should the projector be ceiling mounted to keep it safe from sticky fingers and expensive bulbs going bang.

6) Do you have a decent sound system, obviously with an 8foot+ picture you want quality audio to match.

7) If your ceiling mounting the projector, how long will the leads need to be? Cables can be costly when getting in 5 or 10m range.

8) Do you want a Widescreen or 4:3 projector

My 2p worth

Anim

5. slart

slart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thnks for the info so far....anyone recomend a decent retailer

slart

6. jriihi

jriihi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If i was buying now with that budget then i would wait for Z4,AE900 or Epson new model coming to stores very soon.

7. slart

slart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there are not many retailers here in southampton to demo when these new projectors come out . i was wondering who people have bought from online.i am looking for good customer service, no ebuyer type companies who are a nighmare if things go wrong

ta

slart

8. DGtal

DGtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This seems to be the problem for a lot of folks with projectors at the moment, i.e. lack of demo availability. I have decided that I will probably go for the new Panasonic AE900 from a small local AV shop that has been in business for many years and has a lot of respect. Although he doesn't actually stock projectors normally and can't quite match the best online prices, he has agreed that if I find any stuck pixels or other problems on delivery he will swap the PJ for a new one.

It may be worth you trying to find this kind of shop somewhere near you and travelling a little bit further afield, especially if you can also get a proper demo as well. Personally I would consider it worth a little trip and a small premium on the price to get the service you need. (I know a lot of the online retailers do pixel checks and cheapest of cheap prices, but I prefer the idea of being able to physically walk in and talk to a person.)

In terms of your decision to go for a PJ instead of a RPTV, given that like me you want to watch DVD's (and in my case Xbox) on the big screen and not bothered about TV then yes I'm convinced it's the way to go.

9. slart

slart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all the help so far.

i have a 15 x 12 ft room, as i have never had a projector before , how do i work out what it does? or whats best for me. is its throw distace based only upon its distance from the screen or do they have a zoom in /out function. for example i want the proj at the back of a 15 ft room out of the way but only want a 5ft image, do i have to stick it in the middle of the room? confused , naive, new to all this. also on the back of my dvd i have y pb and pr, is that component? is that good?........alot to learn so please bear with me.

slart

10. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi Slart,

If you are looking for demo facilities, you could try travelling down the road to Audio-T in Portmouth. They have just had a major refurb, and now have 2 demo rooms, both with projector screens in them and a few demo projectors available. Give 'em a bell and see if you can see for your own eyes.

Cheers

Andy

11. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    >> 15 ft room out of the way but only want a 5ft image
    Does the image have to be exactly 5 foot (60 inch)? As an example the Sanyo Z3 at 15 foot from the screen would create a 116 inch diagonal (nearly 10 foot) picture (info calculated by using this link) if I calculated that correctly.

Edit:
    The Panasonic AE700 has a longer throw so would give you a 60" diagnoal picture from 12 foot back. If you want a 5 foot width screen (not diagonal) then you can move the projector back to 13.8 foot.

>> y pb and pr
    Yes that is Component Video and should be used from your DVD player to the projector. Remember that the DVD player would need to be relocated closer to the projector rather than the screen as you probably have it now. You can get longer leads to offset this tho.

Anim

12. slart

slart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a demo in london today, saw a toshiba mt 700 a mt 200 and a panasonic ae700. to be honest what i saw suprised me, i was seriously considering the panasonic but after seeing it i am not so sure. maybe it was set up badly but compared to the dlp models the difference was massive. the 700 looked fantastic the 200 looked good but there was a noticble difference in detail ,but black levels were as good as the more expensive model, but in comparison the panasonic made the movie they were showing look like a bad bootleg, blown out and a bit grey, maybee they had it set up crap but it has really put me off lcd's the only thing that really impressed me over the dlps was the zoom.

after seeing this i called round a few av stores and all of them seem to push dlps like the 4805 over any lcd...................getting confused now and wondering weather its worth waiting for the new sanyo as i have been offered a 4805 for 700 quid.

slart

13. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    is that a brand new 4805? if it is then gopher it, its a lovely projector for its price range.....only downside of course is its a lowish resolution, but if you dont want a massive screen size then it will be fine....

however, just so ya know, at Sevenoaks they do a refurbed 5700 from infocus at £1,500, if you cant stretch that budget atm they do a interest free deal over 9 months....put down as much as possible on the deposit then save up for 9 months and pay off the rest (they take a small amount monthly, then final balance at the end)...thats how i got most of my home cinema...lol....my PJ is on a credit card tho....didnt wanna risk £3,000 on 9 months plan, if i didnt pay it off at the end it'd cost me about £4,800 over 3 years...lol (if u dont pay in 9 months then its 30% APR over 3 years i think..not so bad on a £1,500 PJ if u already paid half up front tho). Good thing with the refurbs is u get 3 years warranty instead of 2 years, and its the Gold warranty, so they replace it onsite next day if it breaks down ;-)