1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can i get opinions on possible setups?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by new_improved_dc, Dec 6, 2004.

1. new_improved_dc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:

I am new to the whole home cinema setup to an extent, i have up till now been happy with my technics stereo with surround speakers. Now i want to save some space and just get an AV receiver/amp and the 5.1 speakers with my pc and dvd player going through the amp to listen to music watch films.

I am looking to spend around £230 at most but would like to pay less, although i think i would notice sound quality difference i would sacrifice slightly for less of a price.

Anyhows i am currently looking at these possibilities
    http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_21653.html for a complete system.

Or getting this http://ws4.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SONY-STRDE495-SIL sony receiver/amp and maybe some sony dav speakers off ebay second hand for £40, or new sonys for £80ish.

ANy thoughts on other setups for around £200, but crucially with ability for digital in from DVD and AV in from pc and possible xbox etc???

Any help much appreciated

Also one other question, i have optical out on DVD player which i assume is simple connection to optical in on Receiver, but on pc soundcard i have a 'digital out' is this the same as optical out and is it connectable to amp if amp only has one optical in?
  2. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    That package at unbeatable is bloody good value mate, you cannot beat an RXV-350 and essentially free speakers for £170. Even if the speakers aren't great, sell and buy some Tannoy FX1s and you're done for a cheap setup.

Check out the other thread with this in them, mickbarlow has just received his from unbeatable so you could PM him for details.