Can I get my money back through Paypal ?

Br0ken

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Hope this would be the right forum for this post.

I bought an item and paid for it in half with paypal funds and half with a credit card (because didn't have enough funds in paypal account).

I got the item yesterday but its not what I ordered, its you could a clone :mad:.
I've emailed the person I ordered from but no reply so now starting to think I should try to get my money back. I don't even have a return address to send the item back too.

I'm not all that savvy with Paypal when it comes to getting money back.
So just looking for advice and what to do really.

Thanks for any and all help,
B.

Read: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/cps/general/PBPInfo-outside#dispute

Best of luck with it although I've never had any success with Paypal's dispute resolution process in four/five attempts. I happen to find them one of the most contemptuous companies I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with and, were it not for their monopoly on internet payments meaning few people accept any other means of payment, I'd have shut up shop with them a long time ago.

Thanks for the link, I did check that last night too.

I forgot to mention that it wasn't a sale through Ebay, it was a private sale. And the Paypal site says:

"* A physical good that you paid for but never received.
*A physical good you purchased on eBay that is significantly different than what was described in the listing."

Doesn't mention anything about incorrect items purchased outside of Ebay.
I don't think I'm protected :( I assumed all purchases through Paypal were protected?

I would have thought they were also. This is what I was saying about their monopoly, the number of websites taking payment via PayPal has rocketed in the past three/four years. If possible, I would suggest initiating the dispute resolution process but provide information to the seller's site (if it's possible, can't remember how eBay-oriented the form is) or else, if you have an hour and £10 to spare, call up Paypal's customer services department and prepare to hit your head against a brick wall...very hard.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

No problem thanks for trying. I would post on moneysavingexpert because I know they've got a section in their forum but MSE is blocked at work.

No problem thanks for trying. I would post on moneysavingexpert because I know they've got a section in their forum but MSE is blocked at work.

I've posted the question on MSE for you, was logged on anyway looking at savings accounts so put it up. Will try and give you an answer if I hear anything back.

Very kind of you, thank you.

Browntoa (at MSE) said:
you will get a FULL refund to your paypal account , does not matter how it was originally financed

Seems pretty definitive. I'm assuming he means you ought to utilise Paypal's dispute resolution but not clear on that. Will keep you updated on anyone else's two cents.

I once bought something off a website paying with Paypal.
The item wasn't delivered despite the seller having a tracking number.

After argueing my case with Paypal that a tracking number doesn't mean I received it they decided in my favour.
However the seller's paypal acocunt had no funds so Paypal said I wouldn't be getting any money until the seller put funds in his account and he wouldn't be able to use it until he did so.
Let's just say I'm still waiting :mad:

So the protection you get on Ebay where paypal will refund you even if the seller doesn't have the cash on the account doesn't exist for other websites.
And of course they don't quite make that clear.

@ Jenn; thats really messed up! Thats a huge flaw in their system! I could open a paypal account, add a bank account, sell some ipods, withdraw paypal funds to bank account and never deliver the madeup ipod stock and Paypal cannot do anything about it??

@ Astraeus; I knew Browntoa would reply! :)

I haven't opened it either, the packaging is transparent.

soolin (at MSE) said:
I agree with fay, paypal transactions outside of ebay do not have the same protection. You can claim for non receipt but not for item significantly not as described.

Doesn't look good, I'm afraid buddy.

It doesn't does it :(

I'll give it a try I suppose, may seller will be scared and refund my money.

Although, if I paid half with a credit through Paypal can I do anything from the view of my credit card company? I'm with Egg.

@ Jenn; thats really messed up! Thats a huge flaw in their system! I could open a paypal account, add a bank account, sell some ipods, withdraw paypal funds to bank account and never deliver the madeup ipod stock and Paypal cannot do anything about it??

Apparently yes. :(

Although, if I paid half with a credit through Paypal can I do anything from the view of my credit card company? I'm with Egg.

If I recall correctly, Section 75 protection (that which applies to credit cards) only comes into force for items worth over £100.

Lol, you're showing off now! I am impressed with your knowledge :)

I guess the best that I can do then is just to warn other people not to buy from him, shame the world can be a horrible place.

You can try telling him he has been hoodwinked by his supplier and been supplied with counterfeit goods, that he sent on to you, obviously without realising it, so you would like to ask for a refund. This worked for me with a counterfeit DVD, I got a full refund and he didn't give me an address to send it back to. But that was through ebay, so he obviously did it hoping I wouldn't give him negative feedback over it.

I got a reply to my email.

He said its the same thing and that it'll work the same. But its not the exact same item I thought I was ordering. I've asked for either the correct item or a refund but not had a response back yet.

I'm 100% sure he knew what he was sending me no doubt about it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom