Can I get DTS with this setup?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by gromit60, May 22, 2004.

1. gromit60

gromit60
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an old DVD player (no inbuilt decoder) connected via its coaxial digital output to the coaxial digital input of my aging Sherwood R-925 receiver/amp (inbuilt AC-3 decoder) and have enjoyed glorious Dolby Digital 5.1. for quite a while.

I'm now thinking of giving DTS a try but the Sherwood only handles 5.1., Pro-Logic, Stereo, etc but not DTS.

If I buy a DVD player with a built in DTS decoder, is there any way I can connect this to my Sherwood amp, either to the coaxial or optical input on the Sherwood? The Sherwood hasn't got a set of analogue 5.1 input connections.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you use the inbuilt decoder from a DVD player you need to feed the decoded signals to the 6 analogue inputs on the amplifier so if your amp doesn't have the necessary imputs your scheme will not work.

One answer could be to upgrade your amp to one that will decode both DD and DTS, assuming that your DVD player will output a DTS signal

3. gromit60

gromit60
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Ian. I was afraid that might be the answer.

My current DVD player doesn't output a DTS signal so I was hoping to try and get away with just buying a more modern DVD player (one that not only output DTS but as an already decoded signal) so that I wouldn't also have to buy a new amp.

One other thing - if I were to buy a new DVD player with inbuilt AC-3 and DTS decoders, could I still connect to my existing amp using a digital connection and receive Dolby Digital 5.1, even though the amp already has a 5.1 decoder?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Yes - in circumstances like this you have the option of using the decoder within the dvd player or outputting via the digital connection and decoding within the amp.

Obviously you won't be able to use the internal decoders in the dvd player though as you don't have the necessary inputs on your amp.

If you are happy with your system in every other respect I am not sure that spending money just to get DTS would be a worthwhile expense but by upgrading to a more modern amp you may enjoy the benefits of Pro Logic 2 as well.

5. phresh

phresh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not all DVD players will output DTS through the digital out, so it is worth checking that it does.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    most new ones will! Looks like you need a new DVD and amp for DTS, depending on speakers an all in one might be the way to go. or even a DVD recorder.