1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I get Dolby 6.1 using my Denon 3801?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by garrad, Aug 14, 2003.

Tags:
  1. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know my Denon 3801 Amp supports DTS 6.1, but I heard years ago that it would also play Dolby 6.1 in 6.1 format unoficially. But when I play Dolby 6.1 movies I get the same sound out the side and rear left/right channels. Unlike DTS 6.1 where I get unique sounds.

What do I have to do or is it just not possible?

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Yes you can but it shows on the amp display as 6.1 Surround (it was to do with a licensing agreement). Make sure you have the amp set to MATRIX ON, just press the 6.1/7.1 button on the amp until this appears on the display (each press cycles through the different options). It sounds like you have it set to MATRIX OFF which just puts the surround info out of the surround backs at the same time.

3. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok this is through the menu?

God my amp is packed away i'm moving house at the weekend. Can't wait to try it.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    You can access it via the Onscreen Menu but it's easier just to press the button on the front panel of the amp. :)

5. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But there is only a 5.1/6.1 button on the front of my amp. When I press it, it will turn off the rear speakers. Is there another button? What is it called?

6. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh wait it is called 6.1/7.1 but I thought that just turned the rear speakers off.

I think when I pressed it the Surround Back CH ouput like goes off and nothing comes out them.

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    From the front panel (the 6.1/7.1 button) or the OSD it gives you further options (MATRIX ON, MATRIX OFF or Surround Backs OFF).

8. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I feel like a right idiot. Thats two years now I didn't know that, lol. Ok i'll try it out monday and see what happens. Thanks so much

9. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I finally set my hifi up last night in a 7.1 setup.

What can I say, I found the option I had some autoflag source disabled and thats why I didn't get 6.1 from a Dolby 6.1 movie. But it's not perfect.

I tried out Star Wars Episode 2 and I was so happy, it sounded fantastic, the sound coming from the rear, side action out the side speakers, it rocked, just like a DTS 6.1 movie. BUT and yes there is a big but, when I tried a 5.1 Dobly movie, it screwed up the back sound. It was quiet and screwed up. I switched that matrix thing off and it sounded normal.

Anyone else notice this?

10. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Some films sound great with EX/ES processing whereas others are a bit hit and miss with the sound collapsing to the surround backs too much.

Personally I would leave the AFDM - OFF. All this does is automatically switch on the surround back channels when the amp detects an encoded flag on the DVD. Not all EX/ES films have this flag however. It's easier to just switch the surround backs on or off manually.

11. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah its really strange. I wish there was an easier way to tell if its a 6.1 or 5.1 movie