Can I get Atmos with the following….

neilrlsmith

Amazon 4K Atmos Firestick HDMI into….
Atmos soundbar which (crucially) is HDMI into…
A 1080p screen.

apps installed in FS are Netflix. Prime, Disney Plus and Kodi.

As I understand the 1080p is a blocker and that the ONLY way to get Atmos is buy purchasing an ATV or some magical Kodi settings.

Appreciate some help. Thank you!

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Streaming services don't make Atmos available unless you are accessing the 2K UHD video options. A device wouldn't allow this unless you are actually connected up to internediary devices and a display that is fully 4K UHD, HDCP 2.2 or higher compliant.Netflix also require that you subscribe to their premium plan in order to get access to 4K UHD encoded content.

Basically no, you can't access Atmos as provided by streaming svices unless you are able to display 4K UHD video. The HD variants you'll have access to will not include the Atmos audio.

Note that this isn't somethingh Dolby have imposed and it is simply due to how the streaming services have decided to operate. If you had a Blu-ray player then yes, you can play both HD and UHD discs and portray Atmos if and when available, but will need a 4K UHD display if wanting to access Atmos in association with streaming services.

neilrlsmith

Thanks. However I read somewhere that the audio and picture weren’t always bundled together. Hence my last part about ATV and Kodi which apparently do not need 4K video to provide Atmos.

dante01

Distinguished Member
THe Atmos audio is only made available if and when you've access to the 4K UHD video version of content. THe app itselg will not make this available to you if the device it is on doesn't detect a 4K UHD compliant display and or devices in the HDMI chain.

Even if this is the case, you'd still need to subscibe to Netflix's premium srvice if wanting access to 4K UHD and Atmos. Neither are made available on the lower tier subscription plans.

The Devices/players on which the apps are running with detecct the capabilities ogf your display and as such the apps will not allow you to access the 4K video variants that include the Atmos audio. No, the Atmos audio isn't accessible in association with the HD or lower resolution video.

neilrlsmith

Thanks. Should have made it clear - I have the Netflix premium subscription, That said, what you're saying, is that with a 1080p display Atmos is 100% not possible on any device or any app?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Even if you've the subscription, Netflix will still not give you access to the 4K UHD encoded content inclusive of the Atmos audio. THe device has to detect a complianrt display or the app will simply give you access to the lower resolution video which doesn't include Atmos.

AS far as streaming services go, you'd need a 4K UHD TV in order to get access to the 4K UHD video and it is only the 4K UHD encoded video that includes Atmos if and when Atmos is an option.

This behaviour and way of doing things is exclusive to the streaming services. You can use a Blu-ray disc player and still get Atmos via disc based media without having a 4K UHD display. The same goes for rips you may have made that you play back via a media player. It is just the streaming services that don;t allow access to Atmos unless you can play the accompanying UHD encoded video.

neilrlsmith

Even if you've the subscription, Netflix will still not give you access to the 4K UHD encoded content inclusive of the Atmos audio. THe device has to detect a complianrt display or the app will simply give you access to the lower resolution video which doesn't include Atmos.

AS far as streaming services go, you'd need a 4K UHD TV in order to get access to the 4K UHD video and it is only the 4K UHD encoded video that includes Atmos if and when Atmos is an option.

This behaviour and way of doing things is exclusive to the streaming services. You can use a Blu-ray disc player and still get Atmos via disc based media without having a 4K UHD display. The same goes for rips you may have made that you play back via a media player. It is just the streaming services that don;t allow access to Atmos unless you can play the accompanying UHD encoded video.
Ok thanks. I'm pretty sure Kodi can produce Atmos to a 1080p screen so have posted on that forum as appreciate that is far more niche!

mckee74

Distinguished Member
Not wanting to contradict Dante (as their knowledge is amazing) but I have a 1080p projector. I get Atmos from all the apps - Netflix, Disney, ATV+ etc.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Then something is both preventing the apps from accessing the HDMI EDID data and also downscaling the video. THe services in question only make Atmosavailable in association with 4K UHD video. The lower resolution video that would orinarilly be made available in setup devoid of a suitable display will be devoid of Atmos.

chopples

Distinguished Member
Thanks. However I read somewhere that the audio and picture weren’t always bundled together. Hence my last part about ATV and Kodi which apparently do not need 4K video to provide Atmos.

Hi mate, yes the Kodi add-ons did do this for both Disney and Netflix (Premium subscription required) although with Netflix the add-on needs access to device wide vine key, works on the NVIDIA Shield, I have never tried on a firestick

I don't think the prime add-on works this way but considering the lack of atmos content on that platform I doubt its something you will miss

neilrlsmith

Not wanting to contradict Dante (as their knowledge is amazing) but I have a 1080p projector. I get Atmos from all the apps - Netflix, Disney, ATV+ etc.
What streaming device do you have plugged into the Atmos receiver? Are you in the UK?

neilrlsmith

Hi mate, yes the Kodi add-ons did do this for both Disney and Netflix (Premium subscription required) although with Netflix the add-on needs access to device wide vine key, works on the NVIDIA Shield, I have never tried on a firestick

I don't think the prime add-on works this way but considering the lack of atmos content on that platform I doubt its something you will miss
Thanks. Am I right about no true HD showing in the Kodi pass through settings? I have enabled everything including DD+ and neither Netflix or Disney display Atmos on my soundbar after selecting Atmos content.

chopples

Distinguished Member
Thanks. Am I right about no true HD showing in the Kodi pass through settings? I have enabled everything including DD+ and neither Netflix or Disney display Atmos on my soundbar after selecting Atmos content.
True HD is a no go on the firestick. I have never tried the firestick with these addons so there could be other factors in play but via my Sony Android TV I was able independently select the video and audio (DD+ atmos) track on the Disney add-on, and likewise on my 2015 shield with both Disney and Netflix (my reason for doing it was down to the native apps not supporting atmos)

dante01

Distinguished Member
Streaming services don't use TrueHD or HD formatted audio. All the audio will be encoded as DD+, including the soundtracks inclusive of Atmos metadata.

The Atmos metadata is packaged with SD Dolby Digital Plus if using streaming services.

mckee74

Distinguished Member
If I was to guess I would say the Apple TV 4k
Indeed, good guess, as well as a Nvidia Shield, Xbox, PS5 etc.

And yes, I'm in the UK.

I'd agree my Shield doesn't do Atmos on all the apps - Disney comes to mind - but on the ATV everything plays as Atmos with 1080 video.

I'll be honest, I'm not big on the technical details anymore. All I know is that it works.

neilrlsmith

I don’t suppose Atmos decoder is Samsung? I’m reading that ATV uses Dolby MAT and not all recovers/soundbars support that. I have an Samsung Atmos soundbar….

chopples

Distinguished Member
I don’t suppose Atmos decoder is Samsung? I’m reading that ATV uses Dolby MAT and not all recovers/soundbars support that. I have an Samsung Atmos soundbar….
I have a Samsung soundbar (2018 n850) and MAT passes fine from both my ATV and Xbox when it’s connected to one of the bar hdmi inputs

neilrlsmith

Out of interest, does the Soundbar actually show Atmos. One of the reasons I am assuming I'm not getting it, is that it simply says HDMI when content starts which disappears after a while.

chopples

Distinguished Member
Out of interest, does the Soundbar actually show Atmos. One of the reasons I am assuming I'm not getting it, is that it simply says HDMI when content starts which disappears after a while.
yes it does mate, for atmos and DTS:X it scrolls across the little lcd, for anything else you don't get any notification so are left guessing. I am not sure what bar you have but for mine when receiving atmos or dts:x all the pseudo audio settings like standard, surround etc... are greyed out and no longer selectable so that is another way to check (if you miss the notification)

neilrlsmith

I have the new 800a. So somewhere the chain is broken and after EXTENSIVE research today it would seem that Netflix only supports Atmos on 1 stick (Pendant 3rd gen). Disney+ recognises that it's a 1080p so dumbs down the whole lot as does Prime. So I need a Cube or an ATV (or a 4k projector!!).

Last edited:

turnpike

Standard Member
Adding to this old thread: What dante01 explained about how atmos is bundled with the 4k content wouldve saved me weeks of frustration. However netflix does actually give you atmos on 1080 for their own content. You pay quite a lot more just to get atmos though, if you dont also have the 4k screen to take advantage of the ultrahd plan 4k. The other popular apps tend not to unless you have 4k.

I get the impression Apple 4k TV might somehow get around this but I don't know how. Maybe it always sends 4k and downscales for your 1080 screen? Even if the only option on it is 1080 when it detects thats what you've got. The only other way ATV would be sending atmos for 1080 I imagine would be if theyve got some special deal/functionality with the popular streaming apps to pull it out of the 4k to provide it to the 1080 video.

Then there's the question of do you just need 4k to get at streaming services atmos? Or do you need specifically 4k HDR?

Even when we talk about owning a 1080 projector there are grey areas, as it might be one of the 1080 projectors which actually accepts 4k and downscales.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards