1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I get anything decent for £1000

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jamieuk23, Dec 31, 2004.

1. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi I am looking to buy a new TV to go in my front room which is quite small. I havent really got a clue wot the diffrence is between plasma TV`s etc

Any way can I get anything half decent for £1000 ??

Would want adleast 42" screen hopefully 50".

Maybe if my budget is a bit low I could get something Finance.

+ were is the cheapes place to buy TV`s do you no off a site ???

+ would it work out cheaper to buy in the shops as there is no large delivery costs from buying online ?

thanks for help !

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I would avoid 50" screens if your room is small. You'll be pushed to get a 42" screen for £1000 unless you go for a Tiny, and several people have had problems with this TV, and the company reputation isn't great. If you could stretch to £1500, you could get a decent Panasonic 42" or an LG.

3. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Depends on your definition of decent.

The Goodmans on offer in Argos is widely criticised, but did receive a respectable review in What Hi-Fi? You could take that as more of a comment on their reviews, though.

The virtually unanimous opinion is that you get better quality for more money. It wouldn't be fair to say that nobody could be happy with a very cheap plasma, but there is a very good chance that you would rather pay more for better if you demoed them.

If you can get to see them, by all means do so, but expect to end up paying more. And the cheapest place varies depending on what you choose to buy.

As for 50", your only way of getting anything at a budget price is to go DLP rear pro. It's still a minimum spend of about £2K though.

4. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    thanks for advice guys !

I take it Plasma TV`s produce better picture Quality than any other TV systems on the market ???

Or are they so exspensive as they are just the latest technology.

5. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Plasmas offer excellent performance for large resolutions at a good price, and remain viewable under everyday conditions.

CRTs practically don't go above 36 inches - at which point geometry and convergence will pull the PQ down, and they are physically large.

LCDs can also be excellent, but are very expensive for good examples - especially when you get to 42 inches. They aren't available in quite as large sizes as plasmas either.

DLP rear pros are getting some good press, and can be cheap for the size, but don't match the level of a good plasma.

Projection is great value for large screens, but not suitable for daylight viewing.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    plasma are the only flat panel that you can currently buy at 50"+ sizes for your budget i would suggest you look at DLP RPTV's or a projector which will give the biggest image for your £1000