Can I get a standalone HDD?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by scrapbook, Sep 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Can you get a standalone HDD much like a video recorder?

I have cable so do not need Sky + and have a DVD player I really like so do not want to buy a DVD HDD combo, so what is there available for me?

I remember TIVO being advertised a while ago, but isn't that a subscription service only?

Surely someone makes stand alone boxes don't they?

Any advice greatfully received!

2. MAD4IT

MAD4IT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tivo - Is the way forward, unfortuantely Thomson have stopped making the boxes in the UK & it would appear the only places you can get the boxes is eBay but expect to pay a premium price (they are like gold dust)

Although Thomson have stopped manufacture of the units Tivo who provide the EPG (electronic program guide) continues and it will either cost you £10/month or £200/lifetime sub.

With no subscription the box will work but you won't be able to use any of the advanced features such as season passes, wishlists etc...

If you want more info on Tivo go to www.tivocommunity.com.

3. pvr_uk

pvr_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which transmissions do you wish to record? DTT, Sat or cable?

For DTT there is the Pace Twin, with many more models due for release very soon from other manufacturers.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I think TiVo is your only real choice. You can use it as just a dumb digital VCR without the sub, but IMO this is a real waiste of the technology. If you get a new unit you will get a couple of weeks free to try it out. IMO the best value is to get a lifetime sub.
    Ebay do have loads of them for sale, some new. The prices are around £200. This is still cheap as the origional price for the unit was £400. I got mine when they were first released and payed the full £400 + £200 lifetime sub and think that it is the best £600 I have ever spent. I have a spare box in case my unit should fail, but if that also goes belly up I would get another one. I just could not be without it!

Mark.

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe a lot of HD recorders will be out soon (I think the high price of large disks has held them back, now that 120Gb can be had for less than £60 we should see a flood!). At the moment your choice seems restricted to devices that have additional features such as the Thompson which has a DVD player with built-in HD recorder. A waste if you already have a DVD player!

Dave

6. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark.

I can see you love Tivo, do you have Sky+ as well or is Tivo head and shoulders above the rest in your opinion.

Dave

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Yes! No, Yes!

I think that just about cover it! :D

Seriously thought, I don't even have Sky, so no point in Sky+
    TiVo is better in every way than Sky+ other than the recording of a digital signal direct from the transmition. Everybody over at the TiVo community forum who love TiVo say that the Sky+ come no where near it.
    Did you know that Sky can stop you FF through the adverts on a Sky+ and can make recordings self delete after a set time etc. etc. :mad:

Mark.

8. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Thanks to everyone that responded.

I have to say I am slightly disappointed that there is not an instantly available product out there for me.

I suppose I will have to resort to a rather old fashion video recorder with those big old waste of space videos, well at least until xbox2 / ps3 comes out anyway!

9. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a new PS2 coming out whose name escapes me that will have HD recording features.

10. chuck

chuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at the JVC HDD/S-VHS recorder. Hi-Spek are selling it for £379. A bargain I think?