Can I get a satellite signal in an apartment with only north-facing windows?

DanielZKlein

Standard Member
Hey,

I moved into a new place here and the friends I moved in with are bringing a satellite dish. I've never had much experience with satellite TV, so I know only basics. We live in Ireland, so we need to orient our dish to the south, roughly. The place we moved into has four windows and a good sized balcony, but they're all north-facing. What's more, we live on the second floor of an eight floor building. That is to say, I don't think the satellite dish will be able to "see" the satellite at all--the building will most definitely be in the way. My friends, however, claim that they've seen satellite dishes pointed straight into a building still pick up signals. Now we also need to get bigger mounting screws to afix the dish to our very large diameter railing, so before we go looking for those I thought I'd just ask: do we even have a *chance* to get a signal or can we stop right here?

Thanks!

Hey,

I moved into a new place here and the friends I moved in with are bringing a satellite dish. I've never had much experience with satellite TV, so I know only basics. We live in Ireland, so we need to orient our dish to the south, roughly. The place we moved into has four windows and a good sized balcony, but they're all north-facing. What's more, we live on the second floor of an eight floor building. That is to say, I don't think the satellite dish will be able to "see" the satellite at all--the building will most definitely be in the way. My friends, however, claim that they've seen satellite dishes pointed straight into a building still pick up signals. Now we also need to get bigger mounting screws to afix the dish to our very large diameter railing, so before we go looking for those I thought I'd just ask: do we even have a *chance* to get a signal or can we stop right here?

Thanks!
No chance whatsoever all the satellites are over the Equator. Dishes may appear to point straight at buildings BUT the lnb (bit on arm in front of dish) is receiving the signal reflected from the dish and its offset means the satellite is approx 25 to 20 degrees above where the dish appears to be pointed.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom