1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can i get a good deal anywhere on Rel?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by crucial, Oct 5, 2005.

1. crucial

crucial
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am based in Kent near maidstone and i am having trouble finding anyone who can do a good deal on Rel subs.I am particularly interested in something around the storm type price range.Can anyone suggest a good dealer in the kent area to go and get a good all cash deal on a nice quality sub? Everywhere i seem to go seems to fix the price.
    Any help and advice greatly appreciated.

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Dont get a REL they're way overpriced for the performance they produce :)

3. tahirti3

tahirti3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't know about rel but i have a revel b15a in the classifieds for not much more than the storm.but the revel is in a totally different class.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    At that sort of price window,you should also take a look at all of the competition from the likes of SVS,Velodyne,BK etc etc .....I moved from REL to SVS and am very happy with the results.

5. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
  6. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Why not drop the dealer altogether? Maidstone is only 90 mins from BK who are in Southend. Click the banner and rest assured that their subs are a lot better than their website.

7. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    :boring:

8. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    :boring:

May be boring but very true. :lesson:

9. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    keep an eye on the Sevenoaks website, their special offer section, find the nearest branches and keep checking them, u might get lucky and a Storm will come up cheap as ex-demo or refurb........if u went for Strata 5 u can get it for £625, and more than likely get them to chuck on a free cable as well.....however i think the Storm 5 is still at full whack of a grand...

and REL are good subs........ overpriced? i wouldnt like to say, but they work well, fairly placement friendly too as far as im concerned....

10. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Sevenoaks Staines have an Ex Demo REL Q201 in Maple going for £599

Sevenoaks Kingston have an Ex Demo REL Q400 in Black going for £699

Sevenoaks Ipswich have an Ex Demo REL Stampede in Oak going for £439

It might be worth calling up the stores an see if you can negotiate a deal on one of those.

11. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    the Q400 might interest him, its got the kind of grunt the Storm has, but mebbe not quite so musical......i think the 201 and Stampede are a little below the weight for what he is looking for.....

but as you see OP, they do reduce the price on ex-demo/refurb stock, but its a bit random as to when it happens...lol

i wonder when REL will update the higher end of their ST range (ie the Stentor, Stadium and Studio models).....might have to keep my ears open, if its in a year or so, i might be able to grab a Studio 3 on its way out...LOL

. o 0 (i wish, so much i wish...lol)

12. crucial

crucial
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Binbag, i just looked at the BK website , and i saw the monolith. Has anyone here used one of these subs? is it good quality? i have never heard of them until now , so any comments greatly appreciated.Can anyone tell me if they would recommend this sub in a large room , using kef thx TDM series fronts and rears , and is this sub man enough for a home THX installation? Inoted the price is only about £400 pounds , which seems a little on the cheap side for a high quality sub , but im probably mistaken.
    Thanks everyone.

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I haven't actually heard the Monolith but one or two people who's opinions I trust have heard it and speak highly of the sub.

It is fairly new on the market and the competitive price is due to the direct sales model which cuts out the dealer's margin.

Another sub worth considering is the SVS PB-12 Plus which is available from AV Sales for £799 and in my opinion is far better than the REL Storm that you suggested in your opening post yet costs slightly less.

I have had REL Storms in the past and whilst they are good subs I upgraded to the cylindrical version of the PB-12 Plus which plays much deeper with far less audible distortion than the Storm.

AV Sales have a showroom at Tunbridge Wells where you can demo one of the PB-12 Plus as well as a couple of other SVS subs

14. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Alas I 'only' have an XLS as it suited my setup and wants far better than the Monolith - unlike many here I believe there is only so much useful bass you can put into a room - but the quality of the unit is well beyond the price you are asked to pay.

It still remains a factory direct item from the man who used to make subs for REL - a friendly bloke called Tom (Dan Gleeballs) Pearce.