1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I get a demo of a Velo SPL mkII

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Lennyz, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

I am in the market for a sub at the mo and I would love to be able to demo one of these 10" SPL preferably. If I lived down south it wouldn't be a problem but unfortunately I live in Cheshire.

Is there anyone out there who has one and would be willing to let me hear one of these subs or alternatively knows of a dealer that will be able to demo one?

I am most interested in the MKII because I like the look of them.

I may also try an svs (box or tube) but I would have to see and hear one before buying as I need to see one in the flesh before shelling out.

Thanks all :smashin:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Velodynes are distributed in the UK by Red Line. A look at their website here seems to indicate that their aren't any dealers in the North West. Try contacting them directly to ensure that their website is up to date as they may have appointed a local dealer recently.

The Velodyne SPL-1000 and anything from the SVS range make strange bedfellows on a shortlist as one tends to be bought when size is at a premium and the other when the exact opposite is true.

3. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks Ian,

Thanks for the pointers. I may be able to demo a Velodyne in Warrington or Altrincham, I will have to phone up to find out.

I hear what you are saying. I was originally thinking of the svs box subs but now I look at the sizes of these I realise that they are massive when compared to the Velo SPL range.

I do like the look of the Velodyne SPL's though.

I don't think that I could get away with an SVS tube sub because of the sheer size of them but I may be able to go for a PB10 although if I did I would be limited to where I could site it. nevertheless it may work out if the performance and pricing is what I am after.

Would a PB10 outperform a 10" SPL Velodyne? Also how much would an SVS delivered to my door set me back?

Still, I do need a demo really otherwise I won't be happy ordering either sub.

4. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moneywise, absolutely. Isn't PB10 about £400 to UK? That's still ridiculously cheap.. Almost everyone of us ordered without hearing it, you'll get your money back 95% if you sell it after not-liking it. Almost only thing one wouldn't like about it is the size. The tubes really are smaller sizewise, only height is enormous. 25-31Pci is pretty compact.. Isn't 32,5" kinda little? :rotfl:

(c) Tom V of SVS:
    [​IMG]

5. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks Diamond,

Is that a Camaro? what year is it? Is it yours and if so what are you running in it? HEHE :devil:

Thanks for the piccy mate the subs look cool too.

I do think the tube SVS units will be a little to tall to fit in with my room as I am trying to go as unobtrusive as I can.......I know, I know....how unobtrusive can a 20" box be?

Well it is for this reason that I am leaning more toward the smaller Velodynes. But I could fit the smallest SVS in behind my seating. This however may give me a possible localisation problem. This would be a non issue for a smaller sub such as a Velo SPL as I can site one of these in more areas of the room and have more flexibility.

Having said that I would still need to listen to em first.

I will look into dealers nearby but failing that is there anyone out there that can give me a demo of their Velo SPL? :hiya:

Ta

6. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's Tom V's Cam if my memory serves me correctly, one of SVS owners. On HTF you can catch him up. It's got a motor for sure.

They sure do.

I know, I was deciding between PCi-line and PB10, chose the latter. For a dedicated HT-room, maybe different choice.

I hear you. Velos are "piece of furniture", sealed, compact subs as SV's are 'bass-cannons', ported and sometimes quite large. :D

SVS sells directly at www.svsubwoofers.com. That's why their subs are phenomenal for their price, no other dealers getting paid for. There's a sticky for this..

Demoing a sub really isn't necessary, if you don't do 'it' at home, with plenty of time for tweaking and playing around. Choose the best one for you on size, looks, price and quality.

7. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  8. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

The Tardis quickly morphed into a Ford Capri when the Dalek family appeared. :D