1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I get a base unit without speakers anywhere?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by conan, Aug 30, 2003.

1. conan

conan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi all, I'm new to the forums so be gentle with me:)

I have a Panasonic SCHT80 that's 2 years old now but the laser head is failing on it. It will still play audio CD's but only play DVD's intermittently. I don't want to replace the whole setup just because of a laser head. Ideally, I'd like to get the read/dvd unit replaced with a working one and at the same time get somethiing that will read CDR media and let me play MP3. I guess tthat this may not be an option as it probably is related to the hardware/firmware in the box and not just the dvd unit. The other option I guess is to look for a base unit only so I don't have to replace the speakers as well.

Can anybody suggest a suitable course of action or should I just replace the lot? If this is the case then I'll probably go down the seperates path as I would plan to replace it with a HTPC.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Bite the bullet. You've come up against a major minus in an all in one, a small bit has bust, the cost of the repair is marginally economic and the rest of it is out of date. Speakers, unfortunately, are usually the weakest link, they are the bit to throw away 1st normally. So whilst getting separates is probably the way foward if you are now comitted to the concept of surround sound, you won't notice any serious improvement in sound quality until you replace the speakers.

3. conan

conan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    OK, cheers mate, thought I might have to go down that path.