• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can I get 5.1 and still use the 7MC Volume Control

Cafe Racer

It was never really a problem with just DVD's but it's becoming a bit of a paint to fiddle with the volume on the receiver whilst watching normal TV.

My problem is, I don't really understand all these sound formats and stuff, so I don't know what's "best".

Is there a way I can have 5.1 and use the volume in 7MC?

I can control the volume on the receiver with the VMC remote I have, but it's not as good as actually controlling the volume in windows...

Last edited:

Daveybryce

IMHO, you are better off controlling the receiver, as your volume in Windows will always be set to max and run thru the receiver's volume control.

If you have it the other way around then you will have to set the receiver at set level which sometimes may not work out for the better. But yes you can do it that way.

Your receiver will have to decode DD5.1 , DTS etc tracks, but if you want to output 5.1 PCM then software will take care of this and output this to the reciever.

Hope that makes sense

Cafe Racer

Cheers Davey.

One thing I like about setting the amp at -45 and using the Windows volume is that the kids can't turn it up past "turn it DOWN, I SAID TURN IT DOWN" volume.

Also, it's a small thing but, I like the Window's volume OSD...

I remember having lots of sound options to play with in XP, not sure about Vista but I've never really looked at Win7 before, but they're all gone! Have to find those realtek drivers again.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom