can I extend this cable??

lpoolm

Prominent Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi, hopefully in right forum, so looking at doing a little project, is it possible to extend the small ribbon cable in below pic it comes from a small lcd screen? It is maybe 1" short from what I need, any advice would be great! Maybe I could replace with longer?
Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • DSC_0011.JPG
    DSC_0011.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 46
Since it's only got 4 connections the easiest method would be to solder a wire to it.

DON'T try to solder a wire to that - the heat will melt the plastic and destroy the cable!

AFAIK, the only way you could safely extend this would be to purchase a ZIF (zero insertion force) socket and solder wires to that BEFORE inserting the ribbon.

DON'T try to solder a wire to that - the heat will melt the plastic and destroy the cable!

IF the OP isn't going to be using the LCD screen for anything other than this "little project" and he's experienced in soldering it's perfectly possible to "tack" 4 single wires to the tinned end of the ribbon cable by soldering quickly.
He can then solder the other end of the wires to the destination socket.

People working on projects often have to resort to less than ideal methods to get it working when parts are unavailable.

Last edited:
thanks for replies, i can solder but not really an expert on something this small with the connectors so close i know if i make a mistake it will be only good for the bin:(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom