Can I Expect A Good 2018 TV To Be Better Than My KURO LX5090?

maxflinn

Established Member
Reaction score
OK I know it'll have smart features, which the KURO does not. But in terms of pure picture quality, are decent modern sets much better?

I'm looking at the SONY XF9005 55-inch, the Samsung QE49Q6FNATXXU, and potentially the LG OLED55B8SLC, all of which are available to me here in Ireland at reduced prices (Black Friday sales).

Or maybe there's other sets that might be better, for around the same price (up to €1500)?

If I buy something new the KURO will be going to the bedroom.

My living room is not overly bright and the TV sits to the side of the window. I usually watch movies with the lights out in the evenings.

Thanks in advance for any advice :thumbsup:

You'll see an overall better picture across the board I'd say.

All i would advise is to try and see one of these tv's running in person. Coming from a plasma background, the vibrancy of an LED may be a little jarring. From that list above, I reckon the LG oled would be your best bet & it'll have a 'natural' image more in line with your Kuro...

Depends on the content. For HDR content that can take advantage of it then it'll be a definitely improvement. For day to day TV watching? There hasn't been big improvement in the handling of poorer quality content.

p.s. The Samsungs aren't at reduced prices yet if you're looking at the Q6, I'd expect the Q8DN to come down to that sort of price in the next couple of months, as it's more comparable to the other two.

If you watch alot of movies and in the dark it would be oled in my opinion..
Still have a kuro in the front room from new as all round family tv but in my den purely for films in a dim room I have a panny oled.. although there may be more detail in 4k leds than the kuro with hdr and theyre brighter, it won't have the black levels of the kuro in a dim/dark room even though they've improved levels massively and therefore not the same cinematic feel.. best try an independent store if you have one near with a demo room to have a look without all the bright lights..

Thanks for the replies guys, and apologies for not responding sooner but I've been crazy busy.

Anyway, I spotted an LG55B8 yesterday in Curry's (in Ireland) for €1399 including a five year guarantee, and it has 40 watts sound output as opposed to the 20 watts of some B8's, so I pounced on one last night.

I've only had a few hours with it but I'm blown away! The combination of OLED with its perfect blacks, 4K and HDR gave me that wow feeling I've not had since I first seen 1080p content.

I think I've chosen well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom