Can I edit output from Sony RDR-HX900 on my pc?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pchappell, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Pchappell

Pchappell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone confirm if there is a way I can transfer video footage from my Sony RDR-HX900 by DVD+RW to my pc (via my DVD+RW drive) and edit it using software on my pc? When I try to import files in this way into Nero 6 or Adobe Premiere elements neither piece of software recognises the file format. I thought that the output from my RDR-HX900 was MPEG-2 and hence should be recognisable. Am I doing something wrong or does the RDR-HX900 block this activity deliberately for some reason?

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    You should be able to (I don't have the Sony, I have a Toshiba, but the files for DVD are required to be in a standard format).

The "sticky" post in this forum on this is worth reading. It focuses on RAM, but similar applies.

DVD files are "VOB" files, with the video and the audio and menus and stuff multiplexed in. You either need software that can handle these files, or you need to split the MPEG2 out of the VOB.

Some freeware programs are around which can help, VOBEdit can split a VOB into parts; DVD2AVI can create an AVI file from MPEG2.

http://www.videohelp.com/ is a good place to look for info on this topic. There you can find links to both DVD2AVI and VOBEdit.

I use Vegas rather than Premiere.... it can edit the MPEG2, but it is a bit sluggish - it doesn't edit as nicely as say a DV AVI file.

Mark

3. lochindaal

lochindaal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do a search for Womble MPEG wizard on the web. It will allow you to do editing of VOB files

4. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Pchappell,

Yes this is possible - infact it is doen by most users here. As has already been suggested look at Womble products or TMPG MPEG Edittor (the latter is superior IMHO). Why not use the A-B edit on the HDD of the Sony though? That's what it's there for!

5. stevie_velvet

stevie_velvet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your not creating the DVDs in VR mode are you ?