1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I drive a Kef Ref 200c off a Denon AVR-3802?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jason, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Jason

Jason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi all,

as title says. I'm looking to buy a Kef Ref 200c, and just want to know if the Denon AVR-3802 is capable of driving this awesome centre speaker? If it does need to be power amped I have a Yamaha DSP A5 amp and two Arcam 290P power amps (one's a Xeta and the other a Delta). What would be the best combination (if any) to use with the Kef Ref 200c?

Your input would be much appreciated.

Regards, Jason

2. eyerish

eyerish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no reason at all that this amp shouldn`t get along niceley with the kef 200c. The amp supports 8-16 ohm impedance and they have 100 watts per channel (or thereabouts). I own one and have installed a few. My speakers are B&W CDM1NT for stereo and an older B&W as a centre. But it`s getting upgraded to the new Nautilus centre very soon and I`ll be using this amp. But as always, listening and gauging for yourself is better. In a home theatre I`d stick with the denon only, as using a mixture of different amps might be a bit tricky...

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    Isn't the Kef Ref 200c a 4ohm centre? If so then using a 3802 won't be doing it justice. If Dimmy is right, in tests the 3802 drops to around 50wpc when all channels are being driven simultaneously...which is hardly adequate for something like a KEF ref centre.

And I can't see how a 3802 will drive a Nautilus centre adequately...

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And with a 4ohm load and all channels driven the 3802 drops to about 25 watts after the onset of clipping. The 2802 will only be invariably worse.

5. Jason

Jason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks guys, what if I use the two arcams to bi-amp the Kef, will this be sufficent?

Cheers, Jason

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd expect it'd be fine to do that, yes. :)

7. Jason

Jason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Okay, looking to power amp the Kef Ref 200c using the Arcam's. Here's the power output for the Arcam's (they're two channel);

Power: 75 watts per channel into 8 Ohms.
    Frequency response: 10Hz-20kHz.

Will one Arcam be sufficent or am I better off using them both to bi-amp the Kef?

Thanks, Jason

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    With my experience of KEF Ref speakers, only 'quality' power will do, and plenty of it. Otherwise they just won't sound their best.

The Arcam mentioned should be fine. I believe Nathan Silly used an Arcam power amp to drive his 200 and was quite happy.

9. Jason

Jason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Should have the Kef Ref 200c this weekend :clap: . Just have a question regarding bi-amping the Kef using the two Arcam 290p power amps. Do I run two interconnects out of the back of the Denon (one to each Arcam) using a Y phono adapter (as the Denon only has one centre pre-out)? Or should I run one interconnect from the Denon into one of the Arcams and the second interconnect from that Arcam into the other? I think that makes sense :confused: ?

Regards, Jason.