Can I download a route from pc to satnav?

paulcroft

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am looking to purchase a sat nav unit. I've not used sat nav before. Currently I navigate by using either Google Maps or MS Autoroute to calculate my route, then modifying the route as required, then printing out the instructions.

One of the things both these packages allow is the ability to drag and drop the route on the map so it is really easy to insert a 'via', you literally click on the proposed route, drag it to where you want to go via and then release and the new route is calculated automatically.

Are there any sat nav packages out there that allow the route to be researched on a pc and then downloaded to the sat nav device?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Hi Paul

Why would you want to do this?

The sat nav unit knows where you are by means of its gps, and knows where you want to go, as you would have input the postcode etc, it therefore calculates its own route. There is no need to use a pc for this kind of thing..is there?

John

Hi John

>> Why would you want to do this? <<

Because sometimes the satnav doesn't calculate the best route, only what it thinks is the best route, and because sometimes I might want to take a detour anyway. There are many ways to go from a to b and there are some wonderful routes across the country that the satnav will never take you on by default. How often do you travel on B roads? Many are almost deserted these days. Some of the best journeys I've been on are almost completely devoid of traffic for this very reason. The problem, though, having plotted a route, is having someone/something to tell you when to turn right, left or whatever and that's where a sat nav would be an absolute boon.

I know satnav is a wonderful thing but I wonder how long it might be before Joe public loses the ability to read a map and simply follows the instructions without any idea where they've actually gone.

Paul

Interesting post Paul. I think that what you are looking for is not what satnavs were designed for....not yet anyway.

Because sometimes the satnav doesn't calculate the best route, only what it thinks is the best route
That's what satnavs are for. If you know a better route, why are you using a satnav? No offence, but I cannot understand people who buy a satnav, and then complain that "it's crap! It doesn't know the short-cut through the supermarket carpark between my house and my mums!". I use my satnav only when I'm going somewhere I don't know - in which case it always knows a better route than I do! Satnavs may not take you the routes the locals would take you ("avoid Park Street at 3.15pm, it's full of kids coming out of school") but it will get you there.

and because sometimes I might want to take a detour anyway. There are many ways to go from a to b and there are some wonderful routes across the country that the satnav will never take you on by default.
So take a detour. The beauty of the satnav is that it knows where you are wherever you go. If there are specific places you want to go, put them in as waypoints and then visit them anyway.

How often do you travel on B roads? Many are almost deserted these days. Some of the best journeys I've been on are almost completely devoid of traffic for this very reason.
I travel on B roads most weekends. There are some fantastic roads around where I live, so often on a Sunday I just drive around, mentally tossing a coin at junctions, and I've ended up in some fantastic places. Then when I get bored, I turn on the satnav and go the fastest way home!

But that's completely different than wanting to get somewhere. Then I just want to get there, not toddle around on back roads, just get me from A to B as quickly as possible.

I know satnav is a wonderful thing but I wonder how long it might be before Joe public loses the ability to read a map and simply follows the instructions without any idea where they've actually gone.
Why do you see that as a problem? Once we all have maps inbedded in our brain we'll all lose the ability to program a satnav. It's called progress. Are you doing any differently by printing out instructions from Autoroute and then following them blindly?

A satnav is just a tool to be used...use it properly (ie to get you from A to B when you don't know the route) and it's a great tool. When you don't need it, turn it off and just enjoy yourself without worrying about it. :thumbsup:

Keith

Thanks for taking the trouble to offer such an informed response.

I suppose the best answer is that, yes, maybe you're right, what I want from a satnav is not what you want. However, if I plan a route in advance and print out the instructions it has to be far easier to download this to the satnav and then have the satnav tell me when to turn left, right, etc., rather than try and read my instructions whilst I drive or, alternatively and even more problematic, give them to my wife and ask her to try and guide me.

I am not a driver who needs to find many unknown locations in the space of a short time, for whom these things must be a godsend. I will probably only be able to benefit from it once a week. But, after getting lost in the maze of new roads in Dublin the other week when trying to find the ferry port, I figured the cost of a satnav would be more than offset by the cost of a missed ferry and decided to take the plunge and move into the 21st century. (As it happens I didn't miss the ferry but the stress of nearly doing so was interesting ...:)).

Paul

But, after getting lost in the maze of new roads in Dublin the other week when trying to find the ferry port, I figured the cost of a satnav would be more than offset by the cost of a missed ferry...
Don't expect much help with new roads. In my experience, TomTom maps for example are around two years out of date on the day they're released.

A SatNav is just like the computer - you can select to avoid roads on your journey - in TomTom you can browse your journey in several formats, and click on 'avoid' to have the route re-calculated to your chosen detour. No need for PC?! :)

I do this as I often know roads i'd want to avoid.

Most programs also have options to avoid motorways, toll roads etc etc that can be set beforehand. You can also select fastest, shortest etc etc, so in effect the lil devices are far more powerful than the online stuff. And of course they have the obvious added benefits! ;)

You can also do exactly what you asked...

http://www.tomtom.com/page/tomtom-on-google-maps

You can program sat navs to avoid motorways, toll roads etc plus some have the ability to offer an itinery, going automatically from one destination to the next.....

Crocodile:
>> Don't expect much help with new roads <<

Don't worry, I won't, but i've now taken the plunge and bought a TomTom One XL Europe and found it has one really useful gadget - a compass that can be set to point to, amongst other things, your destination. So, even if the roads have changed, at least I'll know what direction I should be heading in. This is better than the sun - which I've often relied on in the past so long as it's been visible:)

fr0d0:
Now that I've got a TomTom I'm just beginning to find out what it can do and can't do and, thus far, it's pretty impressive. However, whilst I see I can send a location from Google to TomTom as a Favourite, I'm not sure that it yet has the facility to use Google maps to plan the route and then send the whole route across.

Bribrian:
The itinerary seems to be a very good compromise. I'm spending some time with this.

Thanks to all for your input ...
Paul

Keith

Thanks for taking the trouble to offer such an informed response.

I suppose the best answer is that, yes, maybe you're right, what I want from a satnav is not what you want. However, if I plan a route in advance and print out the instructions it has to be far easier to download this to the satnav and then have the satnav tell me when to turn left, right, etc., rather than try and read my instructions whilst I drive or, alternatively and even more problematic, give them to my wife and ask her to try and guide me.

I am not a driver who needs to find many unknown locations in the space of a short time, for whom these things must be a godsend. I will probably only be able to benefit from it once a week. But, after getting lost in the maze of new roads in Dublin the other week when trying to find the ferry port, I figured the cost of a satnav would be more than offset by the cost of a missed ferry and decided to take the plunge and move into the 21st century. (As it happens I didn't miss the ferry but the stress of nearly doing so was interesting ...:)).

Paul
The best benefit of a satnav is in saving the cost of a divorce, compared to when my wife used to map read. I'm very surprised the satnav manufacturers don't make more of this in their advertising :rotfl:

Hi

I am looking to purchase a sat nav unit. I've not used sat nav before. Currently I navigate by using either Google Maps or MS Autoroute to calculate my route, then modifying the route as required, then printing out the instructions.

One of the things both these packages allow is the ability to drag and drop the route on the map so it is really easy to insert a 'via', you literally click on the proposed route, drag it to where you want to go via and then release and the new route is calculated automatically.

Are there any sat nav packages out there that allow the route to be researched on a pc and then downloaded to the sat nav device?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Besides all that, your original question preparing in google maps and sending it to a SatNav...TomTom 720 can do that, but I'd be careful buying one and get the 730 instead so you also have improved lane control etc..

Besides all that, your original question preparing in google maps and sending it to a SatNav...TomTom 720 can do that, but I'd be careful buying one and get the 730 instead so you also have improved lane control etc..
Unless I'm missing something, doesn't that just allow you to send addresses from Google Maps to your TT? Paul was looking to send whole routes...

Hi dejongi and fr0d0

You aren't looking well enough, even a simple google search containing google maps tomtom shows up many links and conversations...

Anyway here you go, a nice little video on the Tomtom website on how to do this: http://www.tomtom.com/page/tomtom-on-google-maps

Hope that helps....

Yes, I saw that. It allows you to send an address from Google to TomTom to be stored as a favourite, and you can do that with the TomTom One as well as the 720 and perhaps others too. It doesn't, however, allow you to plot a route using Google Maps and then send the whole route to TomTom - please see my original post.:thumbsdow

Hi Jessica

Great, I'm not alone, at last someone who thinks like I do. :clap:
Many thanks for the link, and to Houghi (the site's author) too. It does exactly what I want.

Paul

I've got a small program on my PC that allows you to convert an Autoroute journey for use with TomTom.

Any good?

Gurujockstrap

>> I've got a small program ... Any good? <<

Yes please, that would be very useful. I have Autoroute and use it a lot for route planning.:smashin:

Many thanks

Paul

Paul

Have a look at "Tyre". Sorry can't work out the link to post !

Phil

Hey, I'm with you on this one. Would love to be able to plan a 'specific route' on the big screen of the computer then transfer it to the sat nav.

I'm a biker and planning a big rideout of about 200-300 miles would involve ALOOOOOT of 'via's' especially on a tiny little screen.

I have a Navman and internet searches seem to bring up nothing but people who have had problems with it. Touch wood, never had a problem with mine finding sattelites, or starting up or freezing or anything

It's fantastic if I just want to go somewhere and maybe take in another address or two.

But to plan a route for example from Bristol -> South Wales -> Mid Wales -> West Wales and back to Bristol again taking in certain roads would be an absolute nightmare.

Hi Stretchie

Best program I've come across and use regularly for this is 'Tyre': tyre.tk

It uses Google maps for route planning but not the click and drag part. There are doubtless good reasons for this.

There was another program which I used before Tyre because it did use click and drag but Google maps got upgraded and then this prog wouldn't work any more :( So much for progress!

Hope you find Tyre does what you need.

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom