1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can i do this?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by OldSkoO1, Sep 11, 2005.

1. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi all, looking for a little advice as i'm a little AV illiterate.

I'm looking to add some good quality music seperates into my livingroom. I do like movies too. I currently have a Denon 500sd for movies which does the job but desperatly need something for music.

I'm looking at the following

CA - CD / AMP with Warfdale 9.1's
    NAD - CD / AMP with Warfdale or MA's
    or to go all the way and get
    CYRUS - CD / AMP with QUAD L / Dynaudio's

My problem is, can i integrate this into my home cinema setup? I want to be able to use the good stereo speakers for the stereo amp but also when watching movies have them active as the front l/r too on the denon amp/dvd. I'd hate to have 2 sets of speakers! :(

Thanks in advance!

2. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hiya,

Go and have a listen to a few AV amps in your local stereo shop. Plenty to choose from NAD, Rotel, Arcam(nice for music), just to name a few. Prices range from a couple of hundred to a good few grand depending on what your after.

Simplest thing is to have one box (amp/decoder etc) that everything plugs in to and it kicks out to which ever speakers you like. Could always add a power amp (if you have pre-outs) if you so wish to bi-amp the fronts.

Have fun!

3. andrew1810

andrew1810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    If your AV amp has pre-outs, plug that into an Aux on the hifi amp and that should work how you want and still allow the superior stereo sound from a 2 channel amp as well as the home cinema amp for 5.1.

Andrew

4. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Intially i was worried about the quality of an AV amp as music is more important to me really. The ARCAM seems like a good AV amp option with its DVD player too as a good CD player. However it will need good speakers and i can't crank up the volume too loud because of the kids. Hence going along the cheaper Stereo amp route to build on my system. I'd like CYRUS kit but then again i can't play things loud.

THe pre-out thing sounds interesting but i doubt i can do that with the denon 500 :( i think it said it has pre-out rears which i think is the wrong thing.

I wish you could buy an AV amp with dedicated stereo switch or something. It would be more convient really, but you wouldn't loose the quality in music.

Its all so confusing! Wondering how the new CA av amp is going to be which is coming soon.

5. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
    i have a sony AV amp which deals with my cinema. and i use the pre outs for the front (most AV amps have a 6/7 channel out put) to go into my LINN for music, becaue you the muisc quality is really important to me, i would go the seperate amp route

6. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have an Arcam AVR200 and you can hear the relay click over when stereo is selected.....however the pre-amp section is I think the same as a £400 Arcam amp. The AVR250 has a better pre-amp board and the AVR300 even better.

I listened to a good few AV amps as I wanted good stereo 1st and 5.1 2nd, and only the one system to do it all.

However if real top notch stereo is really really important then maybe a separate system would be the way to go.

Book in your local stereo shop for a few sound demos, see what you think then.

7. nirmal

nirmal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Keep the 2 channel stereo seperate, and you wont have any regrets later. If possible keep it in a seperate room. Invaluable for peace of mind and relaxation when the wife or kids hog the TV :( . Well worth the extra investment in my opinion.

Cheers,
    Nirmal :thumbsup:

8. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks guys,

I guess i'm going to have to demo more systems to find something thats good even at low volumes. I'd like to put the system in the study or the bedroom but then again that limits me when the kids go to bed which is quite early.

Its a very hard decision! If not it will go as part of the livingroom tv system, and i'll probably wait to see what the new CA AV amp has to offer as their new CD deck sounds nice too.

Decisions Decisions!

9. music1st

music1st

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oldskool,

I have a Linn Movie Classik that has similar 2 channel shortfalls. I decided that my new system should be primarily 2.0 but be able to do 5.1 also. I was interested to see if I could achieve this with a single manufacturer, so started to demo solutions with 5.1 capability in 2.0 only. I found Cyrus to be the most musical. The overall solution is not cheap, but it sounds great.

CD8x and 8vs for 2ch. Add AV8, DVD8 and some smartpower or xpower amps for your remaining 3.1. You could go to town and get DAC-XP, PSX-R's and Mono-x too if you win the lottery :)

Here's an FAQ from the Cyrus Website:

"I am interested in adding surround sound to my system that includes a Cyrus 8vs for playing my CDs and other sources.How can I connect both the AV 8 decoder and the Cyrus 8vs to the front channel power amplifiers?

The best solution is to connect the front channel outputs from the AV 8 to the AV input of the Cyrus 8vs. If you then ensure that the two products are wired into an MC-Bus™ loop then the signal routing within the system will happen automatically. As the AV 8 is selected, the Cyrus 8vs volume control will lock and calibrate to a suitable level for the AV 8. When the AV 8 is switched off, the Cyrus 8vs will return to normal operation automatically."

I also tried using the DVD8 for 2 channel, but it's not as good as a CD8x so ended up with both. DVD8 is no longer made, but got my dealer to sell me the demo one for half price. Like I said, not cheap but boy does it sound good. :devil:

10. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I think i'm going down that exact route!

I've just bought a CD8x and 8vs amp with some b&w speakers this weekend :)
    They sounded superb and the next thing i will buy will probably be the psx and then thinking about adding the extra 5.1 capability.

Cyrus kit is brilliant! I think the 5.1 solution with good music is a niche. Arcam is good at it though.