1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i do this?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by watchinthewheel, Apr 25, 2005.

1. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i want to turn my pc into a kinnda media centre, ie i want it to act as a tv AND pc, is that possible. i want it to be able to run as a regular pc, run my xbox through the monitor (iv already sorted that) and i wanna be able to watch cable through it, can i do that? i have ntl cable which uses scart to connect to a tv, can i make it connect to my monitor or through my pc somehow? i have no idea how to do this, and would like some info about the possibilities and chances of it actualy working.

thanks a lot for any info.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    A 'media PC' is simply a normal PC with software to play media :). MCE, while appearing to be something special is simply a hacked-down XP Pro with a user-friendly front-end, which can be closed down to reveal the normal XP desktop.

The majority of users with an 'HTPC' are simply using XP, or earlier flavours of Windows, or other systems such as Linux or a Mac, with applications to play media, watch TV etc. Recently MCE 2005 (which is Windows Media Centre Edition) has begun to be quite widely used (earlier versions were pretty naff) and appears to be a nice 'one stop' solution if you want that sort of thing, though there are similar front-ends such as MyTheater and others.

Many people use a Sweetspot to connect external sources like an NTL STB to the PC, which can then be recorded using ShowShifter or some other PVR software. If you use the Search feature on here for "Sweetspot" you'll find plenty of discussion about it.

For playing back media like DVDs you have several options, either use somethling like MCE's own media player or get a third-party DVD player such as TheaterTek, WinDVD, PowerDVD etc., for other types of media such as DivX files then there are many players for those.

There are many possibilities, it depends on what you need.

3. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot for that reply. that sweetspot thing looks great! im not sure how i would be able to connect it to my stb though, its a scart only i think. ill have a look arround for some adaptors though. thanks again for the reply.