1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i do this?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by beachboy, Nov 14, 2004.

1. beachboy

beachboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1 Plug my AV Hi8 into a DVD Player/Writer
    2. Record the AV to DVD
    3. Load DVD (step 2) into my PC MsXP HD
    4 Video Editing SW on my XP PC
    5. Edit and burn a new DVD from HD

Can I do this and if so what format must the DV recording (output step 2) be and what low/med. end DVD Player/Writer recommendations can be made.

Essentially I want to get the film into/out of editing sw on my laptop avoiding a new wi-fi port,

Thanks for learned knowledge in advance.

BB

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    If you want to convert analogue video for accurate editing on a PC the DVD recorder route is not ideal. You will end up trying to edit a highly compressed Mpeg2 file, probably with AC3 audio, which many editing programmes have problems with.

A better method is to use an Analogue to DV converter which is then connected to the PC by Firewire, allowing a straightforward transfer into editing software (same as if you were using a DV camcorder).

I suppose your investment depends on whether you will be doing this often enough to justify the cost (around £150 for the basic Canopus one-way convertor, ADVC55)

Take a look at www.sirentechnology.co.uk/ :smoke: