1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I do this with a Hitachi 43" Ilumina and my Sony speakers?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by zsaddique, Nov 24, 2001.

1. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As some of you know I am considering purchasing this Hitachi 43" model. I currently have a Sony DAV S300 AV system, not the best, in fact, I regret buying it now, it doesn't have RGB or component output, just s-video and composite.

What I want to know is, should I connect the speakers that came with this package to the Hitachi TV (which has DD/DTS decoder built-in)? I know the speakers use a different connecter at the end of the wire (the end that connects to the audio out sockets) but couldn't I use the wires that come with the Hitachi speakers?

Would this work, do you suggest I just the use the Hitachi speakers? Also, would I be able to get the 5.1 sound from the DVD to output through the speakers since it will connected to the TV via a s-video connection (s-video to scart cable, I presume)?

One other thing, if I connected the speakers to the TV, what sound format would my NTL Digital channels output in? Dolby Prologic?

Thanks guys!! ;)

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    One of the reasons that everyone advises against the "Sony in a box" systems is the lack of connectivity which you are about to find out.

The s-video output on your DAV is for video only and whilst you can connect it to the Hitachi TV to watch the pictures you will have to use the DAV for 5.1 sound and switch off the Hitachi's speakers as there is no digital output on the DAV to send the digital signal to the TV's decoder.

If there are phono inputs on the DAV you can connect them to the Hitachi and listen to TV programs in Pro Logic but if there are not you will have to use both sets of speakers, one for DVD and the other for TV which is not a very satisfactory state of affairs.

The other option is to get rid of the DAV and buy a DVD player to connect directly to the Hitachi using the TV's speakers.

Ian

3. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a bomber! Do you reckon I should try and sell my Sony kit (bought it @ £549 when it came out) and buy a DVD player with the profit? Is it worth going into all that hassle, do you think? And are the Hitachi speakers good enough?

If I didn't take that action, then I'd be left with my Sony system connected to the TV via s-video and using the DAV's built-in decoder and speakers.

Hmmm...

4. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wait a minute.. I just realised the Hitachi doesn't have a component input anyway.. it's just the Toshiba's that use them, I think. So, is there much point upgrading just to use a RGB connection instead of the s-video? Or do you guys think I should get a Toshiba RP with component in and a new player.. but then I'll get shabby speakers and no DTS.

This is gonna be hard!!:mad:

5. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any ideas, guys? :confused: