Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Can I do this with a Freeview box?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by fatmarl, Aug 13, 2005.

1. fatmarl

fatmarl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At the moment I only receive terrestrial TV. I have a VCR and DVD recorder. The way I have things set up at the moment, I can, for example, record BBC1 on my VCR, BBC2 on my DVD recorder and watch ITV all at the same time. I am thinking of getting a Freeview box. Would I be able to have a similar set up to my present one? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Yes, If you have 2 scart sockets on all your pruducts, connect them via scart.
    TV > VCR > DIGIBOX
    TV > DVDR > DIGIBOX

Nigel

3. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Yes but, unless you use analogue (until it's switched off) you'll need a Freeview box for your TV viewing and another Freeview box for recording. Connect them both to the aerial via a suitable amplifier. (You can try an ordinary splitter but it will probably lose too much signal).

4. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I assume you mean would you be able to record 2 channels from the Freeview box on both the VCR and the DVD recorder at the same as watching a third Freeview channel on the TV. The simple answer is no, as a standard Freeview box only contains 1 Feeeview tuner.

To do something similar to what you do now you would either have to:
    1) Buy 3 Freeview boxes and dedicate one to the VCR, one to the DVD recorder & one to the TV - this has obvious problems with regard to needing to find space for 3 more boxes, as well as buying different brands so that the remote codes (hopefully) don't clash.
    2) Replace your TV, VCR and DVD recorder with models with built-in Freeview tuners. Obviosuly the problem here is the expense.
    3) Buy a twin-tuner Freeview hard disc recorder. Using this you could watch one channel on your TV while recording another to the hard disc. Should you still need to record a third channel from Freeivew at the same time you would need another Freeview box of some description to record from.

5. mh123

mh123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Ditch the VCR as a recording medium and buy a Freeview box with HDD.

6. Heinz

Heinz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Or get a VCR with a built-in DTT receiver.

Like THIS Daewoo