1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i do this to my speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by tophellcat, Sep 30, 2004.

1. tophellcat

tophellcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right now, i have a pair of speakers that are rated at 6.3 ohms and i was wonderin if there was a way to make it so that it is rated at 8 ohms. can anyone help me out?

2. funkmonkey

funkmonkey
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Impossible without replacing the drivers and the crossover.

3. tophellcat

tophellcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what do you mean drivers and crossovers? and how would changing those make it possible then

4. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    Why do you need 8 Ohms?

Most amps should be Ok with these?

john7

5. tophellcat

tophellcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, i have an older amp that has 2 sets of channels. the first is the "A" set of channels and it can only withstand 6.3 ohms by itself and the "B" set of channels can withstand 8 ohms. That is only if i am using one at a time. but, if i us both sets of channels on it at the same time, it can withstand 8ohms. and i learner in electricity class that if i were to take a 3 ohm resistor and put it in a series with a 4 ohm resistor, that you would just add them together and you have total restistance. and as i said before, i don't know if my ampliphier can handle a pair of 6.3 ohms and 8 ohms speakers when usin both sets of channels at once. that is why i wanna change the resistance of the speakers

6. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    The difference in 2 Ohms should not interfere with the running of the speakers. I have never heard of an amp with such a specific limit of 6.3 Ohms.

I would say that unless you are running some very esoteric gear, I would not worry about these figures

7. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    The speakers will vary in impedance when in use anyway 6.3ohms and 8ohms will be nominal impedance.A resistor will not work with speakers the way your thinking ,funkmonkey as the only answer the crossover and driver are like a tuned circuit.