Can I do projection for c.£150...?!

Rob12345678

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinking about putting a projector in the kids' playroom for a bit of fun for occasional movies etc, so don't want to spend much money!

Can project on to a white wall, or could get an Ikea blind, or keep an eye out for a cheap screen.

Projector-wise, if I could pick up a 2nd hand unit such as an Optoma HD600X or W316ST for c.£100 would this be any good!?

Or should I just stick to the 55" TV? Room is 3.4m long and 2.7m wide.

(Annoyingly, sold an Optoma HD33 I got as part of a home-cinema bundle for £180 on eBay a couple of years back - should have just kept it...!)

Thinking about putting a projector in the kids' playroom for a bit of fun for occasional movies etc, so don't want to spend much money!

Can project on to a white wall, or could get an Ikea blind, or keep an eye out for a cheap screen.

Projector-wise, if I could pick up a 2nd hand unit such as an Optoma HD600X or W316ST for c.£100 would this be any good!?

Or should I just stick to the 55" TV? Room is 3.4m long and 2.7m wide.

(Annoyingly, sold an Optoma HD33 I got as part of a home-cinema bundle for £180 on eBay a couple of years back - should have just kept it...!)
I would go the projector route mate. Our room is about the same as yours in size, and we have a 92" screen in there.

Sorry - meant there will be a TV in there already

I guess would a cheap large projection setup be any better than a (smaller, but higher quality) TV for not much money?! Maybe it would just be something different, but don't want to waste the money if it's absolutely awful PQ.

Bear in mind this not some mega home theatre, just a bit of fun for Disney movies for the kids 'movie nights'! Can turn make it pretty dark in there, so hopefully that will help with the contrast.

@Nayfne - what is your setup?

I used to have the Ben Q W1070 and it was a great budget projector, as long as you're not prone to Rainbow Effect.

We have a dedicated room, current set up is
EPSON 7400 projector
Marantz SR6012 receiver
Miller and Kreisel speakers
Cambridge audio minx ×4 for overheads
BK Gemini Subwoofer
Sony X700 4k player.
5.1.4 setup in total.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom