Can I damage my 2.1 system with this money-saving 'manoeuvre'?

NewbieAudiophile

So i've recently put together a 5.0.2 ATMOS-enabled, surround sound setup...

It's rather enjoyable, but it's missing a sub... thing is though the Wharfedale crystal 4.3 tower speaker fronts are producing sufficient enough bass ATM - well enough to the point that i cannot justify spending an additional $600 AUD on a 'noise making' subwoofer, let alone $1200+ AUD for a SVS sub... not as this time at least..

Now, in the same room, i've got my PC set up and Edifier's S350DB's connected via Optical Toslink (to my PC).

If you're not aware. the S350DB is a 2.1 set up with a rather nice 8 inch sub.. so i put my mind to work to try and figure out if it would be possible to somehow use this as the home theatre's sub, and I found one way.

The left speaker is connected via plug that has 4 wires (since it's bi-amping) and if I unplug that and connect the 'left rca' plug only for the 'aux' input, the only speaker that produces sound is you guessed it, the sub - and boy does it rumble....

Would connecting an rca between the receiver's 'subout' and the left rca input on the 2.1's aux be safe in terms of longevity for the Edifier 2.1?

By my calculations it should be safe unless there's an issue with too much power being made available to the subwoofer amp? Really, I wouldn't over power it anyway, just after some of that low end bass that a dedicated 8 inch driver can recreate.
:)

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
So i've recently put together a 5.0.2 ATMOS-enabled, surround sound setup...

It's rather enjoyable, but it's missing a sub... thing is though the Wharfedale crystal 4.3 tower speaker fronts are producing sufficient enough bass ATM - well enough to the point that i cannot justify spending an additional $600 AUD on a 'noise making' subwoofer, let alone $1200+ AUD for a SVS sub... not as this time at least..

Now, in the same room, i've got my PC set up and Edifier's S350DB's connected via Optical Toslink (to my PC).

If you're not aware. the S350DB is a 2.1 set up with a rather nice 8 inch sub.. so i put my mind to work to try and figure out if it would be possible to somehow use this as the home theatre's sub, and I found one way.

The left speaker is connected via plug that has 4 wires (since it's bi-amping) and if I unplug that and connect the 'left rca' plug only for the 'aux' input, the only speaker that produces sound is you guessed it, the sub - and boy does it rumble....

Would connecting an rca between the receiver's 'subout' and the left rca input on the 2.1's aux be safe in terms of longevity for the Edifier 2.1?

By my calculations it should be safe unless there's an issue with too much power being made available to the subwoofer amp? Really, I wouldn't over power it anyway, just after some of that low end bass that a dedicated 8 inch driver can recreate.
:)

A better, long term, solution, if your budget doesn't allow a new 'real' sub, would be ebay, or facebook marketplace, or whatever you have down under, and pick up a 2nd hand unit - it doesn't have to be flash, but almost anything will be better than your Edifier.

That said, the Edifier may be fine performing light duties for a while.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You could try adding a RCA (F) to 2x RCA (M) adapter to the Sub (LFE) Output from the AVR and connect into both channels of the Aux Input on the Edifer system.

Adding a suitable Active Sub to the AVR does more than just add ’suitable sound’ to the system - it should go lower than the Front LR speakers, reduces the load on the AVR power supply and ensure you get to hear the discrete LFE audio.

Matching, Positioning and Tweaking a suitable Sub is quite a complex process if you want to optimise the sound in your room.

Joe

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
There's no technical issue with doing this, but just bear in mind that the Edifier sub is designed to provide low bass to a sub / sat system, not low frequency effects. The distinction is subtle, just don't expect the gut wrenching effect a proper sub will provide and do ensure the sub is not distorting.

Running with the main speakers disconnected from the Edifier will not cause any harm. With solid state amplifiers, they will happily operate off load without issue or any form of instability.

NewbieAudiophile

Ended up purchasing a SVS SB1000 for a great price

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hopefully hooked up and working as required?

Joe

NewbieAudiophile

Hopefully hooked up and working as required?

Joe
It's on the way from the retailer which sold it to me.. I've heard many good things about it.

Truth is the Wharfedale Crystal 4.3s can generate enough bass anyway that the edifier sub as of no use, but the SVS sub can go all the way down to 23Hz, so i'll probably increase to fronts cross over to 60Hz

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom