• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can i convert my xbox VGA cable to HDMI ?

mjw123

Established Member
Hi,

I've just purchased a new samsung LED panel that only has HDMI and no VGA. Previously i used an official VGA lead to connect to and older LCD panel.

I thought i'd be able to simply purchase a VGA to HDMI cable but having tried this their appear to be no signal to the screen.

Is what i'm attempting possible ? - if so do i need to change the settings on my Xbox ?...i have the original 360 with no HDMI output

TIA,
Mike.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
I thought i'd be able to simply purchase a VGA to HDMI cable but having tried this their appear to be no signal to the screen.

Such products are scams , the way it works is that when you find out it doesnt work , and it wont because HDMI is all digital and VGA is analog , you must cover the cost of return postage , and this is nearly always more than the item cost.

There is no way for a standard HDMI socket or cable to be wired up to accept an analog signal , thats impossible.
There is no simple cable that will make any analog signal acceptable to any standard HDMI socket.

To go from one to the other you would need something like a HDFury , which has electronics to convert , and these are always very expensive.
http://www.hdfury.com/portfolio/hdfury/
Note , these are getting increasingly hard to find , and more expensive to boot. As they strip away HDCP protection they are also illegal under the DMCA ( deliberately circumventing a copy protection routine)

If the screen has a DVI socket , it would have to be a DVI socket that accepts the analog VGA signal , see the Pin out for DVI here ,

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficheiro:DVI_pinout.png

the C1,C2,C3,C4 connections on the right are the analog connections , without these it wont work.

Most screens other than PC screens have DVI-D connections , which dont accept analog signals , if you look at the socket on such connections you will see that the C1,C2,C3,C4 crosspoint pins are missing. Therefore on a DVI-D socket, no analog connection is possible , regardless of adaptor.

Last edited:

Courtjezter

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I've just purchased a new samsung LED panel that only has HDMI and no VGA. Previously i used an official VGA lead to connect to and older LCD panel.

Is what i'm attempting possible ? - if so do i need to change the settings on my Xbox ?...i have the original 360 with no HDMI output

TIA,
Mike.

I am in a similar boat to you, i have reverted to using the component cable, as most tv's still come with a component input.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom