Can I convert a TV digital audio or optical audio out to a 3.5 mm wired headphone experience?

AVnewbieguy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in the market for a new TV but I specifically want audio from wired headphones. I don't want latency issues such as lag from Bluetooth or wireless headphones.

Problem is, 3.5 mm headphone jacks are hard to find on a TV these days. (I see the LG C2 42 inch does have, but it is out of my price range. I am looking at spending about US $300 -US $500, maybe more.)

I have seen some Hisense and TCL TVs do have 3.5 mm headphone jacks, but I'm looking at Samsung, LG or Sony as a preference.

My question is can a digital audio out or optic out (I may have misnamed this?) as featured on most Samsungs, LGs and Sony TVs be converted into a 3.5 mm headphone jack for wired headphone use, with reasonably good sound quality and not line-level output? I want to be able to adjust the volume on the TV when using my headphones, so there must be some amplification. Can it be done?

Thank you, I appreciate the advice.

Hi, I'm in the market for a new TV but I specifically want audio from wired headphones. I don't want latency issues such as lag from Bluetooth or wireless headphones.

Problem is, 3.5 mm headphone jacks are hard to find on a TV these days. (I see the LG C2 42 inch does have, but it is out of my price range. I am looking at spending about US $300 -US $500, maybe more.)

I have seen some Hisense and TCL TVs do have 3.5 mm headphone jacks, but I'm looking at Samsung, LG or Sony as a preference.

My question is can a digital audio out or optic out (I may have misnamed this?) as featured on most Samsungs, LGs and Sony TVs be converted into a 3.5 mm headphone jack for wired headphone use, with reasonably good sound quality and not line-level output? I want to be able to adjust the volume on the TV when using my headphones, so there must be some amplification. Can it be done?

Thank you, I appreciate the advice.
Yes - a DAC/headphone amp with an optical input would take care of converting the optical digital output to analogue for the amp section to power your headphones, plenty on Amazon at various price points. I'd suggest one with a remote to control volume as the optical output is intended to be controlled externally, the TV remote doesn't control the volume of the optical output.

Edit - spelling.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, stevo.

I'm looking at a Samsung FHD N5000 series. The spec says "Audio Out (Mini Jack). Would that be the same as a headphone jack? If not, what would I need to convert that to a headphone jack? Same type of DAC headphone amp?

Alternatively, that TV also has Component In (Y/Pb/Pr). Forgive my ignorance, but are there headphone amps for those too so I can listen at adjustable volumes (not fixed-level output)?

Thank you again.

I'm looking at a Samsung FHD N5000 series. The spec says "Audio Out (Mini Jack). Would that be the same as a headphone jack? If not, what would I need to convert that to a headphone jack? Same type of DAC headphone amp?

Alternatively, that TV also has Component In (Y/Pb/Pr). Forgive my ignorance, but are there headphone amps for those too so I can listen at adjustable volumes (not fixed-level output)?

Thank you again.
I'd imagine the audio out mini jack is a 3.5mm headphone socket (Google images of the model number to verify that's exactly what it is)
The component in is a video input for external devices that have component outputs (a legacy input since HDMI became the de facto input)
Hopefully the audio out should have you covered 👍

I got a middle of the road Samsung 28 inch 4K computer Monitor with HDMI inputs a few days ago. I was very pleased to see it with a headphone jack hidden below ..not even mentioned in any specs or reviews . It very happily drives the input of an AVR and gives excellent stereo quality. I suspect that most HDMI input displays will have something similar ... The HDMI is a combined video and audio signal.

Thank you again.
The 3 " component in " connections are for an now obsolete technology usually colour coded as Green , blue and red . And are video inputs only. You might see a set of red and white RCA connections ..these are also feeding audio into the TV ..not outputs. .that combination was used in USA marketed product to take feeds from some DVD players . In the European market we used a multiple pined rectangular socket called a SCART. .
The audio out jack will feed headphones nor a stereo amplifier.

Thanks for your input, dannniell. So if I understand correctly, the "component in " will be of little use to me for audio - but I would still be on the right track thinking an audio out mini jack will be useful headphones?

Thanks for your input, dannniell. So if I understand correctly, the "component in " will be of little use to me for audio - but I would still be on the right track thinking an audio out mini jack will be useful headphones?
Yes .. the "nor " word should have read OR. . . You might look towards one of the Sennheisser or Phillips wireless transmitting headphone sets. They will use that audio jack and then drive a RF or IR link to a headset beside the viewer listener. Because these are analogue, there is no time delay or lip syncing problem. And these will operate accross a room and can use the optical output from the TV.

Yes .. the "nor " word should have read OR. . . You might look towards one of the Sennheisser or Phillips wireless transmitting headphone sets. They will use that audio jack and then drive a RF or IR link to a headset beside the viewer listener. Because these are analogue, there is no time delay or lip syncing problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom