Can I convert a Progressive PAL signal to something else ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by naturally, Jul 9, 2002.

1. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am still trying to get the hang of this.

I posted this question in another forum without getting any responce. I may have posted in the wrong place, so here goes.

I recently bought the Philips Q50 for the progressive NTSC and PAL capabilities. I am connecting it to a Panasonic LT712E LCD projector. The Projector has the following Componant video signal compatibility: 1080i, 720P, 480P, 480i, 625i.

As you can see from above, the projector does not support progressive PAL (625p I think).

Is it possible to get a unit that fits between the projector and the DVD player that can convert the 625p progressive PAL signal to 720p so my projector can display it ?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    Yes it is....but the only scaler I can think of that'll accept a progressive input signal and scale that is over £3000....

Gordon

3. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assume Gordon is thinking of the Vigatec's however, am sure that the Focus Enhancement CS-1 can take component progressive and scale it up.

Priced at SRP of £1900, but see other threads for options.

Rgds

Nathan

4. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Consider scaling all formats to 1024x768p which is the native format of the projector I believe. You will have to use the RGB input (possibly BNC or VGA I'm not sure).

But does the projector allow a 16:9 mode when using the RGB progressive input? If not then may be a scaler that can reformat a 16:9 signal within a 1024x768 (XGA) shape prior to sending it to the projector.

I have lost track of all the scaler products and their features over recent times, but there are others on this forum who may know of suitable products.

The cheapest method is just to use R1 DVDs and send 480p to the projector!

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,057
    Ludae: Where have you been ...we've been missing you!!!

I wasn't aware the CS1 could do this trick...if it can then they really were having a go at Vigatec....I'll be able to let you know if it can do this soon!

Gordon

6. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the projector is 1024x768 and it has 2 15 pin RGB inputs. So it is possible.

Yes, my projector can go to 16:9 - 4:3. I tried that under 480p and 625i, so I assume that it will manage a 16:9 signal.

:rolleyes: I have too many R2 DVD's for that.

The cheapest is what I have right now. 2 DVD players, one playing Interlaced PAL and the other playing Progressive NTSC. The reciever switches between them. I do get a reasonable output. Not perfect, but reasonable.

7. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Maybe at those prices it is worth buying a new projector all together. I honestly thought that I could get a solution for my problem within the 500 pounds mark.

8. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can just use component interlaced out then send it via say a Quadscan Pro (recon circa £500 should get you one, bit like rocking horse s**t though). The Pro can spit out XGA on the 15 pin in RGBHV. This may work, does on my CRT.

Hidden benefit is it has composite, svideo and component in x 2, so you can use pj for games, sky, video camera etc........

Rgds

Nathan