Can I connect two players to keep 5.1 surround?

DMB

Standard Member
Hello to all. This is my first time, I'm a novice and I'm female so please be patient!
I finally got fed up with my useless Sony DAVS300 (C:13 hell) and bought a Panasonic DVDS49. I assume I don't have the budget for a new amp and speakers (guessing it'll cost £500+) but really miss the home cinema effect of the Sony, especially as I don't have a stereo so it doubles as my cd player. Searching through old threads, an optical cable between 2 players has been suggested but there is no socket on the back of the Sony that is labelled optical.
Are my hopes for surround sound scuppered? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!:confused:

rhino2k

Distinguished Member
you need an AV reciever (an amp that allows you to connect dvd/tv/video ect).

you can get one for around £150, and should be able to use your existing sony speakers :thumbsup:

if it has a sub that may be a problem, depending if the speakers plug into the sub or the dvd player.

other than that though, should be fine :)

DMB

Standard Member
if it has a sub that may be a problem, depending if the speakers plug into the sub or the dvd player.
Everything plugs into the dvd player, sub and speakers. Is this a problem?

kjt2004

DMB

Am i right in thinking that the dav S300 is an all in one , ie like my S550 that i use . I would therefore assume it has a Optical or digital coaxial input.

I would also assume that your new DVD player has an optical or digital coaxial output.

So you could do exactly as i have done and connect your new player to your old all in one just like i have with my new oppo and old sony davs550

Still get glorious surround sound, i will have look at the sony site to search for a manual on s300 to check

hope this helps

regards

kjt2004

DMB

Ok just checked and it looks like that the sony dav s300 doesnt have the required optical or digital connection:thumbsdow

So Your alternative is to buy a surround amp something like the yamaha (gets good reviews) £150 ish i think you may be able to use your existing speakers until u have more funds available

regards

DMB

Standard Member
Thanks for the help but I think I'm stuffed. The speaker connections are not like anything you've seen so it looks like amp is the way forward.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom