Can I connect TV to amp?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by adamjohn, Feb 3, 2009.

1. adamjohn

adamjohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and thanks in advance for bearing with me as I am new to this.

I have a unbranded 32inch LCD TV bought from ebuyer last year. According to the User manual it is UT3219B. I recently purchased a new sound system with entry level Cambridge Audio Azur Amp and CD player. Also Cambridge audio speakers. I would love to play my TV through the amp as the picture is good but the sound is very poor, unfortunetly I am not sure if I am able to do this. The connection on my TV are as follows:

1. HDMI1 INPUT
    2. HDMI2 INPUT
    3. VGA
    4. SCART
    5. Y and VIDEO
    6. PB and R
    7. PR and L
    8. S-VIDEO
    9. TV (aerial)
    10. PC-AUDIO
    11. PHONE

Numbers 5/6/7/ above I assume are all inputs only as they are what I use to connect my Xbox 360 to.

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Ideally you are looking for an output marked "Audio Out" or with a circle with an arrow pointing outwards. These will usually be analogue phonos (red/white) or an optical (toslink) connector. It sounds like you have a hifi amp so the analogue connection will be the one you need.

You may be able to connect a SCART connection using a SCART adaptor (make sure you buy the right one or one that has a switch for input/output) and a pair of phono cables (red/white) to an input on your amp. You would need to check the TV's manual but I would imagine it can output audio over SCART as SCART is a two way connection i.e. input and output. Altneratively the headphone socket ("PHONE") could be used, probably using a 3.5mm to phono cable.