1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I connect the two?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by DD29, Feb 15, 2003.

1. DD29

DD29
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all.

Being completely new to the forum, and home cinema in general this post is perhaps something of a stupid question but I would be very grateful If someone with a bit of experience could help us out.

A couple of weeks back I received a Video logic ZXR-500 5.1 speaker set as a gift from a friend of mine, well this kit works fine with my PC, but I really want to set up the speakers in my lounge for use on my TV, Vid + Console. Having only recently discovered that in order to do this I need a Pro Logic II receiver I set about finding one and came across the following that fit within my budget:

Pioneer VSCX-100
    Panasonic SA-HE70
    Sherwood RD6108 R

I must admit I like the look of the Pioneer the best though due to its size and price.

Well my question is, will it be possible to use my Video logic speakers in conjunction with any of these receivers? I get the feeling that they need to be connected with the kind of connection with two bits of wire that go into like clips on the back (excuse my lack of technical terms here), but my speakers can only be connected via red and white phono cables of which I don't think there’s any output for (there need to be 6) on these receivers, but I'm not too sure.
    If not, is there a way of getting a cable that on one end has 2 phonos to go into the sub and on the other end the kind of connection for the receiver?

If anyone out there knows could you please let me know as I'm goin nuts over this!

Cheers.

2. blackjack

blackjack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    first of all i'm a newbe myself but.

what did your speakers connect to from your pc or is there an amp in the sub.

i use my pc sub on my av amp and there is only one phono connector on the sub and only one on the amp. so i used a long lead that has 2 phono plugs on it but only used one plug and left the other dangeling by its side. and it seems to work great, not the best of things but the floor boards vibrate nicely...he he.

your speakers must of plugged into something for them to have phono leads on.

i got a friend at work that has a video logic set but he has got a small receiver with it, so if you have the same why can't you use that,? it must have connections in the back of it that maybe you can plug your dvd into.

my guess is u could chop the phono plugs of your speaker cables but i recon you will have a earth cables in each if you have phonos on them ( thats a guess but maybe not) and i would'nt know what to do with the earth wires but the other wire would connect straight to the amps speaker outs.

BJ.

3. DD29

DD29
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying blackjack.

Yeah there is an amp in the sub. My pc is connected to the sub via 3 dual phono to 3.5mm jack cables so there are 3 outputs on my PC that then go to 6 phono inputs on the back of the sub. Then the speakers connect to 5 phono outputs from the sub.

I think that I've seen the receiver that you say your friend has on the video logic site, but I don't think it has Pro Logic 2 which is what I'm after.

About chopping off the phono plugs, well I asked this guy in richer sounds but he didn’t seem to know if It would work or not.

My idea is to have the Front, Centre and Rear speakers connected to the 5 outputs on the sub (as normal when I use it with my PC) and then connect the receiver to the sub's 6 phono inputs via the modified dual phono to speaker wire cables, as not to damage the cables of the actual speakers themselves so that I can still use the system on my PC if I want to.

I hope you get what I'm on about cos it’s confusing the hell out of me!

Anyway, Cheers again for replying.

P.S: I don't have a DVD player only a DVD drive on PC.