Can I connect subwoofer to my Sony separates or Focusrite Scarlett?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by clarestar, Mar 23, 2017.

1. clarestar

clarestar
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All, I have spent the last few hours trying to figure out if my newly purchased sub can connect in anyway to my set up, its a bit of a mixture! Sony separates about 20 years old still sounding lovely :) and a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 as learning to make and record music as well.. The Sony amplifier is model TA-FB930R and the new sub that may have to go back!! is Pioneer S-21W 160 W Peak/100w RMS active Subwoofer, the sub only has the one line out..single RCA with supplied single RCA to RCA lead.

I made the purchase because I 'knew' there was a sub RCA socket on Sony amp, I was wrong,when pulled out amp today, none at all!!
    So before I painstakingly send sub back, does anyone know if there is a way to connect to my set up, please, even if I have to buy different leads? or what kind of sub I should have got?

I can supply photos if needed, too! Thankyou in advance :)

2. k-spin

k-spin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
  3. clarestar

clarestar
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help K-spin, the problem I have is I have bought the wrong sub and its actually mean't for home theatre I think, so it only has the line level out (RCA) there are no other ways of connecting..

4. k-spin

k-spin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Ah, sorry.

Could you route a mono signal to one of the line outputs on the 18i20 using MixControl and then connect that to the RCA input on the sub?

i.e. send the L and R channels of the stereo mix to your amp (or active monitors if you have them - not sure what you're using for speakers) via the monitor 1 & 2 outputs on the 18i20 and then a mono mix to your sub via output 3.

5. clarestar

clarestar
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I think I get most of that :) I don't have active monitors as I am unable to part with my passive Mission speakers lovely warm sound and can't afford expensive enough monitors that would give me the sound I like, also the only other inputs/outputs left on amp are TAPE/DAT which are 2 RCA sockets and 4 more speaker connections, but the ones where you twist copper cable in, which I think after some research are no good for line level sub RCA even if I had been able to get an adapted cable :) I'm guessing neither are any good, so my audio interface was looking like my only hope..

6. k-spin

k-spin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    What is it you're trying to play through the sub? Is it just music you're recording using the Scarlett or do you want other sources (CD player, turntable etc) that are already connected to the amp as well? If the former then I think my suggestion would work okay but not sure if you've got lots of other sources too.

I've got an 8i6 (similar but smaller version of the 18i20 with fewer inputs/outputs). I use it for home recording using a PC/DAW via the USB input but also have a CD player connected via the SPDIF input and a few other things connected via a mixer. I've got it connected to some active monitors but you could connect to your amp and then your Missions (with a separate output from the 18i20 to your sub). Might just get a bit messy if you have multiple sources.

7. k-spin

k-spin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Another possibility might be to run a Y cable from the Tape/DAT Rec Out connections to your sub. This will be a fixed level though (i.e. adjusting the amp volume would have no effect on the sub volume) and so you would have to set the sub volume using the control on the back.

8. clarestar

clarestar
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I use PC/Daw too, but I would have liked to have cd, minidisc etc able to use sub too, I don't mind it all getting a bit messy if I can actually do it, buying extra leads etc or whatever, I do have mixers too, but I think it might be very hard to get my head round all what you are saying, after a couple of small directions I get lost easily!!
    Also not many connections on amp at all..uploaded a photo in case it helps, also Mission speakers also have the twisty wire inputs as well, sorry don't know proper term! dont know if photo upload worked, it has cd - tape1/dat - tape2/md - phono - tuner - aux - all double RCA red/white and 8 speaker twisty wire thingummyjigs..

9. clarestar

clarestar
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,527
    Although you might get the Y-cable with manual volume management on the sub to work, I'm not all that optimistic, and the need to go to the back of the sub every time you change the volume does seem rather awkward. Your best bet is to replace the subwoofer with one designed to be used in a stereo environment; it will also sound massively better as it will have the relevant control(s) for adjusting the low pass filter to match the speakers, which your S-21W does not have.

If for some reason there is no way you can take the mis-purposed subwoofer back, the next best option is a speaker to line level attenuator (FGA-22S Audio Signal Transformer Converts Speaker Output To Line Level RCA Phono or Buy Alpine Speaker to Line Level Converter) which will enable you to connect the subwoofer to the speaker outputs. You'll still need to deal with the stereo - mono conversion, already mentioned.in this thread and of course you will still have no means of balancing the speakers to the subwoofer (so it will still not blend).