Can I connect sky+ HD to old home cinema system?

amazonianwoman

Standard Member
Reaction score
First post, and very old school (and a female who doesn't "do" cables !)...

We have a Sony Bravia TV KDL40EX503, a sky+ HD box and an old home cinema Sony DAV-DZ100. Although antique, the home cinema works fine with DVDs/CDs.

Is there any way I can get surround sound for the TV? If so, please can someone explain in simple terms (!) how to connect everything. We never watch terrestial, only sky.

The DAV doesn't have optical or HDMI, just 2 scarts (one currently connected to TV AV1).

Really don't want to have to upgrade to a new home cinema but would love to be able to play TV through our existing one if at all possible...

Thanks in anticipation.

Looking at the manual, this seems to be a very basic system. It doesn't mention any form of audio input at all so it doesn't look like you will be able to hook it up to your Sky box for sound.

The manual only mentions one scart input though, so maybe you have a different variation of the model. What are the labels next to the scart inputs?

Can you confirm that there are no other connections on there - like a pair of phono inputs?

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies.

Will check all in/outputs when I get back home. I did say it was antique! (5 years old?!)

I did manage to play tv sound through it at some stage in the past, either via Virgin box or with a previous Viera tv - just can't remember the combo or the set up.

See if you can find the manual and check whether it's the one I linked to.

OK, found the manual and it's the same as the one you linked to. At least, the same model number, except on my manual/system there is a Euro AV scart output (to TV) rather than the monitor jacks (marked 4 on page 86 of manual) and no video/SAT audio jacks (marked 2, 3 on same page)

So yes, only one scart (currently connected to TV), AM terminal and FM coax.

I'm anticipating what the answer is going to be...

The DAV doesn't have optical or HDMI, just 2 scarts (one currently connected to TV AV1).
Another question first though - which is it, "just 2" or "only one"? :D

I should have said - welcome to AVF.

Last edited:
:D

"Only one" - as confirmed by the manual and by actually pulling out the box to have a look :D

"Only one"

....which is almost certainly used for feeding the DVD picture and audio from the home cinema to the TV - not for feeding external sources into the home cinema. It looks like this Sony thing is a home cinema in its rawest form - basically a DVD player with its own speakers - and therefore cannot be used to produce surround sound from an external source.

OK then, that IS the answer, as I think you anticipated - it can't do it.
btw: Thread moved to Sky HD.

OK thought so!

So how did we at some point in the past manage to get TV sound through it?! Would it have been old terrestrial TV?

On the model I linked to you do it as shown on page 22.
That's the pair of sockets you mentioned as item 2 on page 86.

As has been mentioned - you wont get surround. You can connect the R+L audio out from your Sky box to the R+L audio in on your home cinema which will be a big improvement over the tv speakers. You should also be able to select one of the 'pseudo surround' modes and see which one you prefer.

Thanks, appreciate all your support (and patience) for my evidently very basic system!

I don't have R&L audio on the Sony - literally just have Euro scart and AM/FM.

Would look at a new option, but I'd really like to start a Sonos system!

I don't have R&L audio on the Sony
Could you do one more check with the manual?
The one I linked to has page 53 headed "Enjoy TV or VCR sound...." does yours?

the R+L audio in on your home cinema
Depending on that double check, we've established that there are no audio sockets on this version of the system.
The US version of it has them.

Last edited:
No, my manual doesn't have that section...

But GENIUS not such a dumb blonde after all - have sussed it!!!

Have reconnected scart from antique Sony to DVD scart on sky hd box, then another scart from TV scart on sky box to AV1 on TV, then pressed function on Sony remote til "TV" appears - and it's working! TV sound is muted, sound now coming from surround sound speakers. HD channels all still working etc, TV still playing via HDMI. RESULT!

Thanks all for your replies, really appreciate it. I'll hop over to whichever forum discusses Sonos next :D

That confirms what I suspected might, with a wild stretch of the imagination, be the explanation.
The system ought to have something to replace the missing audio-in sockets of the US version.
It could, just could, be the Scart connection working the other way around, as an input.
You said in the first post you had that Scart "currently connected to TV AV1".
What was it doing - playing DVDs perhaps? - and whatever it was doing how are you going to do it now?
How does "Sonos" come into it now?

Yes the scart into AV1 was to play DVDs. DVDs are still playing with the new set-up, just have to scroll to "DVD" with the function button on the remote.

There is nothing to indicate this set-up in my version of the manual - very frustrating - but the link in your last post re something to compensate for "missing" US ports triggered my (primitive!) thought process, so thanks for that!

Sonos - totally unrelated! Our hi-fi systems are equally antiquated and I saw this demo'd recently and loved it (simple set-up!) Just have a few questions about it.

Thanks again.

Glad you have sorted it ! :smashin:
I did not realise you had a different model to the linked manual :rolleyes:

So that Scart socket really does work both ways - audio and video from system into TV, audio back from TV to system - it's a new one on me. :thumbsup:
But, what IS a "Sonos"?

Interesting. Interesting. :D

The manual for the UK version of the DAV-DZ100 is here:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/2590881111.pdf

It shows the single scart input, but it doesn’t appear to explain that the system is capable of using the scart connection to get audio signals from the TV.

This feature is actually quite common on Sony all-in-one systems. The problem is that it’s never really explained properly in their manuals.

For example, the attached image is a screenshot taken from the more recent DAV-DZ280 system’s manual. It tells you to connect a scart cable between the system and TV even when using HDMI for video. It doesn’t tell you why though!

Attachments

• DAV-DZ280.gif
    DAV-DZ280.gif
    45.4 KB · Views: 239
That must be manual our OP has.
By coincidence another thread conforms that TVs can output audio through their Scart, so that confirms that this system both outputs and inputs through its single Scart socket.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom