Benhutch

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, my current setup is a Samsung TV with B&O 6000 powered/active speakers connected via a 3.5mm headphone jack. I realise I lose some audio quality but the convenience to control sound from the TV remote and have no additional kit to power up or additional remotes is for me a willing compromise. I’d like to upgrade the TV but newer models have no 3.5mm outputs. Is there a way to replicate this setup going from hdmi arc or optical out etc? All help and advice appreciated. Thanks

If you have apps built into the new TV, then an optical to analogue converter is normally the easiest.

Not sure what you mean about apps. Wouldn’t an optical signal just be full volume? There’s no way to control volume on the speakers themselves

I doubt there's anything on the market that will integrate volume control into the TV remote, as it would require HDMI CEC to do this.

If you use any smart apps or the internal tuner on the TV, then you cannot intercept the audio on the incoming HDMI, as this won't pick up the internal TV apps or tuner. This would require audio ARC - which is possible, but expensive.

Something like this has a volume control with remote. Amazon product ASIN B087JJ24SG
Then just get yourself a decent programmable remote control - 1-for-all or similar and map the volume control to the remote code on the optical audio extractor.

Otherwise, quite a few TVs do still have a 3.5mm headphone output, so you could just get lucky and find one you like that has one!

Final option is to get an AV processor - preamp in other words, which will work correctly with the TV and have line level outputs for your powered speakers. At a push, you could just get a much cheaper integrated receiver and use the headphone output to drive your speakers.

Plenty of options, depending upon budget etc.

Thanks for the help so far on this. I’ve tried a hdmi arc to arc audio extractor which pulled out all sound regardless of app or tv input method. so far so good but Frustratingly the volume seems fixed at loud every time I power the tv on regardless of the sound it was left at. The tv has no fixed or variable sound output option but has HDMI-CEC so hypothetically it should work. I can control sound from the tv but it’s starting point is so loud it’s just not possible to use without waking the dead every time I power the tv on. Would sooner not have additional remotes so any further advice is welcome. Thanks again

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom