1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I connect my PC to my amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rforey, Jan 31, 2003.

1. rforey

rforey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've got a Sony HT-DDW840 system and was wondering if it would be possible to hook up my PC to the amp? I've got loads of mp3's on my comp (all legal of course ;-) ) and it'd be nice to be able to play them through the surround system rather than the crappy PC speakers. I've had a look at the back of my computer, and the sound card doesn't seem to have the normal red-and-white audio lead sockets (I'm ignorant to the technical name, sorry!) to connect it directly to the amp. Does anyone know what I need for either the PC or amp to make a connection?

Cheers in advance!
    Rob F.

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    This question may be better asked in the HTPC forum but I'll answer anyway ...

Your PC will probably have a 3.5mm mini-jack socket on the back that you use to connect it to your current PC speakers. You need to visit Maplins or similar and buy a 3.5mm jack - 2x phono leads cable (will cost a few quid) and can connect this from the line-out on your PC (where you speakers connect) into a spare line-in on your amp.

This is the simplest method but will be an improvement on the usual PC Speaker kits.

Victoria

3. rforey

rforey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent, thanks for that Victoria. All up and running now and sounding a lot better!

Cheers again,
    Rob F

4. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm not sure about this, but couldn't you run on a compatible sound card the optical out to the optical in on an amp?

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Yes you could run a cable from the digital output of a compatible soundcard into your amp (either optical or co-ax). I was assuming the lowest common denominator though so went for analogue connection.

Victoria

6. blackjack

blackjack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i did this the other day.

i got a stereo 3.5 jack and 2 phono sockets along with some twin wire, soldered 2 sets of twin wire to the stereo 3.5 jack and one phono on each of the other ends, used the pc speaker outlet to a input on the back of my amp.

i did this to as i have around 400 albums in mp3 format on my hard drive but i've only got a crappy sound card and it did'nt sound as good as a cd player, i used winamp to play them which is a good little prog to que loads of stuff mp3's into.

cost me around £3.00 to make. abviously i'm not talking gold connectors here. :)

BJ.