Can I connect my component DVD to proj with HDTV (YPBPr)?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by codlord, Oct 25, 2004.

1. codlord

codlord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At work we have a BenQ PB2220 projector with a 15-pin VGA (PC) input which is also marked HDTV and the projector supports YPbPr input.

As a test and to see what a projector may do for me at home I want to try this out at home with my DVD player which has prog scan component out (also YPbPr) - is this possible? I know HDTV signal can be higher-res but the projector apparently supports all sorts of signals from 480i to 1080i.

Do I just need a cable which goes from 3 component phonos to 15-pin VGA? If so where can I get such a lead in the UK?

Any help appreciated.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    'Fraid you need a converter, the VGA signal is RGB so you'd need an RGB->YUV converter, unfortunately neither of the component suppliers I have bookmarked list such things but I know they're available somewhere ... however expect to pay at least £100, if the price of SCART(RGB)->YUV converters is anything to go by.

3. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Codlord - your projector accepts component video via it's VGA port, meaning you should only need a 3 RCA to VGA cable. However I don't know which resolutions specifically it will accept but you can be pretty sure 480p and 576p are covered.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Er, Liam, I thought component was YPbPr while PC VGA is RGB? Am I wrong? :confused:

5. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    This BenQ, like most data projectors around today, is able to decode YPbPr or RGB through it's VGA socket.

In fact your very own Sharp will accept component video into the DVI-I socket using exactly the same method (with an additional DVI-VGA cable)!

6. codlord

codlord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Liam, thats what I thought/hoped - i'll see if I can get the cable and give it a go.

I just want to really see what the practicalities of a projector will be in my room/s so this seemed like a cheap first go.

I have a 42" plasma for day-to-day use but if I do decide to go for a projector I will be looking for a (around £1000) projector for occasional "impact" DVD use and occasional PC gaming - hence not looking to spend loads or expecting amazing quality for that sort money. I also know I will have to make compromises if I want a projector for both film and PC use.

Any suitable recommended options gratefully accepted (I know very little about projectors at the moment).

7. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    I would imagine Hitachi PJ-TX100, can't offer the deep blacks and contrast of something like the ThemeScene H30, but does give you 1280 x 720 resolution (similar price DLP gives only 800x600).

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :eek: .. well I never! So the receiver can differentiate between RGB and component if it so chooses, I never knew that. One lives, puts one's foot in it and learns. :D

Still, with DVI available why would one want to use component? ;)

9. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    If one didn't have a DVI source!!!! Or didn't want to spend £200+ on a 10m DVI lead!!!!

Seriously though better results are not automatically gained by using DVI. Usually it's a safe bet, but sometimes the input on the display or the output on the source sink just isn't as hot with DVI as it is with analogue.