Can I connect electronic drum kit to DAC/Amp??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Atchi123, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Atchi123

Atchi123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi
    Apologies if not the correct forum....I'm teaching myself to play the drums with an Alessis Nitro kit currently using headphones. My home stereo/AV setup is pretty powerful (Onkyo TX818, Audiolab MDAC, B&W CM9, Monolith subwoofer 15" 500W) and I wanted to put the drums through the system. The Nitro has headphone outputs and L/R guitar cable style outputs alesis nitro rear - Google Search
    Ideally I'd like to run a very low latecy bluetooth transmitter/receiver into the DAC or Amp. My question is around the output levels of the kit...too high a signal? could it blow the dac/amp/speakers?
    Finally any suggestions on the transmitter/receiver? something like this http://*2Chpxjy

2. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +953
    As the maker of your kit does not detail anything useful in the specification documentation it will be a case of suck it and see... going easy and careful on the volume out level. Similarly with the volume setting of the AVR.

Unlikely this drum device is 'professional' kit where the levels are significantly higher than for domestic kit so it should all be OK-ish... {See Audio levels – IPS for more technical info, if wanted.} Distortion should be evident if you over-drive things. It does all depend on the size of room and how quickly you wish to go deaf, of course ;) It may be quite easy to damage the tweeters with loud cymbal and percussive noises, if very loud.

I see no benefit of using Bluetooth to connect things, though - a simple stereo cable to the amp could be made up or purchased for less money and with zero latency issues, no A>D conversion, or lossy coding (mind, APT-X is darned good though) and D->A back.

3. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    Don't use Bluetooth as it will add some latency - I absolutely cannot stand playing my v-drum kit with more than a few ms of audio latency - makes it really hard to keep good timing.

Just use 1/4 TR to rca leads.

Also watch your levels - Ive no idea what that kit is like but mine does have real drum like dynamic range so have to be careful with it on consumer hifi - ie make sure level is low than bash it at maximum velocity while setting your level.

4. Atchi123

Atchi123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Thanks all! Ordered some Jack to rca cables to try out