Can I connect a USB stick like device to a HDMI port?

prephil

Novice Member
I recently purchased an Optoma HD142X Full HD 1080p Projector. My understanding prior to purchase was that I could play video from a USB stick but the USB port is for power only.

Anyone know if it's possible to connect a device to the HDMI port that could act similar to a USB stick, i.e. I could transfer movies onto this device from my laptop - then connect it to the HDMI port and then watch those movies?

As it stands, I'm connecting the USB stick to a Playstation 3 and then connecting the PS3 to the projector via HDMI cable to enable access to the USB stick. This works well but the ideal situation is a plug and play device like USB stick.

prephil

Novice Member
Sorry for appearing silly but is this like a hard drive that I could load media files onto from a laptop? I could just plug it into the projector and play videos?

next010

Distinguished Member
Would an Apple TV work?

No it is a network streaming only device. But you could stream movies from laptop to the AppleTV, install Plex server on laptop and Plex on AppleTV your good to go after that.

Plex is also available on the PS4 if you want to consider replacing the PS3 with a PS4.

The best quality USB stick/HDD capable device is the Nvidia Shield, if you want something all singing and dancing. Use Kodi or MrMC as the media player on the Shield available from it's app store (I think there is a basic USB video player on the device too but the others mention are much better).

If you don't care about that you can get super cheap USB media players on Amazon.

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
Just get a chrome cast, really cheap and you can then do as suggested above for the Apple TV but much cheaper.

You could even run a NAS with Plex on it for an even more seamless experience

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
How are you getting sound at the moment with your PS3 solution by the way?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'This works well but the ideal situation is a plug and play device like USB stick' - there is no real gain in your plan unless you are doing an art installation.

As SteveU30 ask's what are you doing for audio? In the short term you could be using the Projector speaker - long term you will want to use an external Amp and Speakers.

Assuming this is a 'Home Cinema' system you will want your Source connected to an AVR/Amp plus the Projector - that may be Source > AVR > Projector or Source > AVR + Projector on separate wired connections.

Joe

prephil

Novice Member
Just get a chrome cast, really cheap and you can then do as suggested above for the Apple TV but much cheaper.

You could even run a NAS with Plex on it for an even more seamless experience

I'd prefer to have media downloaded in advance on a USB stick/hard drive. I'd need to have my phone/iPad on if watching with Chromecast (at least that's my understanding of how it works).

prephil

Novice Member
No it is a network streaming only device. But you could stream movies from laptop to the AppleTV, install Plex server on laptop and Plex on AppleTV your good to go after that.

Plex is also available on the PS4 if you want to consider replacing the PS3 with a PS4.

The best quality USB stick/HDD capable device is the Nvidia Shield, if you want something all singing and dancing. Use Kodi or MrMC as the media player on the Shield available from it's app store (I think there is a basic USB video player on the device too but the others mention are much better).

If you don't care about that you can get super cheap USB media players on Amazon.

Looking at the AGPTek which seems popular. Could anyone recommend a USB powered media player? That way I could plug it into the USB power port on back of projector and it would look tidier.

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
What about an Android box, then you could have streaming services via Kodi/Plex or use the USB port to play files from USB sticks/portable hard drives.

SteveU30

Distinguished Member

Gilbers

I'd prefer to have media downloaded in advance on a USB stick/hard drive. I'd need to have my phone/iPad on if watching with Chromecast (at least that's my understanding of how it works).

The media can be downloaded to your phone in advance, and the Chromecast is small and USB powered, so I think this could well be the neatest solution. Can you clarify why having your phone 'on' would be a problem? The phone screen can be turned off while streaming, so it won't be using much battery power.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Streaming - still not sure what advantage you see having a ‘stick’ type player over using the PS3.

NAS Drive - would possibly be a more useful addition to your streaming solution if you prefer to download movies.

ATV - the ATV 4K has no onboard storage the ATV (4th Gen) has no onboard storage.

Audio - I’d be wanting a decent Amp and Speakers to make the most of your ‘Movie’ Playback.

Joe

prephil

Novice Member
The media can be downloaded to your phone in advance, and the Chromecast is small and USB powered, so I think this could well be the neatest solution. Can you clarify why having your phone 'on' would be a problem? The phone screen can be turned off while streaming, so it won't be using much battery power.

Dont know how to download media to an iPhone and if it needs to be transferred synced thats more hassle than its worth compared to putting something on a USB IMO. Didnt realise phone screen could be turned off when casting. Thought it needed to be left on.

prephil

Novice Member
Streaming - still not sure what advantage you see having a ‘stick’ type player over using the PS3.

NAS Drive - would possibly be a more useful addition to your streaming solution if you prefer to download movies.

ATV - the ATV 4K has no onboard storage the ATV (4th Gen) has no onboard storage.

Audio - I’d be wanting a decent Amp and Speakers to make the most of your ‘Movie’ Playback.

Joe

USB stick is more mobile. If i bring the projector anywhere carrying a PS3 with it is a little more awkward than a small USB that fits in my pocketses. Also would use less power so I'm saving energy.

I don't know what a NAS drive is so I must Google that. Same woth ATV. I'm not oversly concerned about top quality sound. I was using an Acer K330 up until now so the difference between the speaker on that and this 10W speaker is a huge improvement.

prephil

Novice Member
Last edited:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
NAS (Network Attached Storage) - networked hard-drive.

ATV - Apple TV

Portable streamer - as per previous post I suspect you require a device which connects to an HDMI Input (not USB) on your Projector.

Joe

Gilbers

Dont know how to download media to an iPhone and if it needs to be transferred synced thats more hassle than its worth compared to putting something on a USB IMO. Didnt realise phone screen could be turned off when casting. Thought it needed to be left on.

I'm not sure I understand how 'transferred synced' differs to copying files to a USB stick - is it iTunes that you find a hassle? If so, there are lots of alternatives. You can use an iOS app like FileBrowser to copy files onto the iPhone, or the VLC video player app (recommended) offers various ways to download files, including a web interface you can access from your PC, or any of the cloud storage options (i.e. DropBox, Google Drive, iCloud etc.).

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
I'm not sure I understand how 'transferred synced' differs to copying files to a USB stick - is it iTunes that you find a hassle? If so, there are lots of alternatives. You can use an iOS app like FileBrowser to copy files onto the iPhone, or the VLC video player app (recommended) offers various ways to download files, including a web interface you can access from your PC, or any of the cloud storage options (i.e. DropBox, Google Drive, iCloud etc.).

You could of course pick up a cheap Android tablet to run it from instead of an iPhone and then have a pretty fancy ‘control centre’

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
A simple Android based player will get you going.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky reveals content lineup for 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs now feature Apple TV+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett