Quantcast

Can I connect a USB hard drive directly to AVC-A1HD for FLAC replay?

Jules

I know my Denon AVC-A1HD will read .mp3's from a USB pen drive, and the manual claims it will also read .flac files (but not .wav or .alac... which is odd).

Having been an Apple geek, I currently stream ALAC files from my iPhone / iPad to Airport express... but it can be a pain when I'm constantly draining the battery to listen to music.

So my question is 2 fold:

1) I havn't meddled with the flac format yet...so can anyone confirm that Denon's manual is correct in that the unit can read and playback flac files without issue?

2) Can the AVC-A1HD provide enough bus power to fire up a mobile hard drive?
And is it actually able to read .flac files from it?.. or is there some FAT formatting issue that prevents it reading from devices above a certain capacity?

I would love to connect a 750Gb G-Tech mobile G-drive (they are wonderfully sleek and quiet) to the back of the AVC-A1HD, fill it with FLAC files and enjoy lossless audio playback without having to worry about charging a battery.

Thanks.

Jules

Very quiet around here these days...

Well I haven't tried the hard drive option, but I did pick up a cheap 16gb pen drive and thought I'd load that with flac files and see what happened.

The good news is the 16gb pen drive is recognised and the flac fies I created work fine too.
The bad news is navigating the music collection is painfully slow and cumbersome...so not sure I want to bother with it.

MoFoHo

Very quiet around here these days...

Well I haven't tried the hard drive option, but I did pick up a cheap 16gb pen drive and thought I'd load that with flac files and see what happened.

The good news is the 16gb pen drive is recognised and the flac fies I created work fine too.
The bad news is navigating the music collection is painfully slow and cumbersome...so not sure I want to bother with it.
Jules, I know this probably sounds like a strange question, but what do you use to control your big bad Denon? Just the standard remote? If you happen to have an Android device, there is a fantastic Denon remote app that makes navigating that dreadfull net/usb feature almost a joy...

Top Bottom