Can I connect a subwoofer directly to my LCD TV?

clarky_007

Standard Member
:lease:
I know it isn't the best idea to use low quality TV speakers and connect a sub to a TV but due to limited space I want to do it. My TV speakers actually don't sound too bad either. I have a 37" Mitsubishi LCD. The TV has the usual RCA (R&W) outputs and it also has digital audio output which the owner's manual says "sends dolby digital or PCM digital audio to your digital A/V sound receiver."

So I want to find a sub that can connect to my TV. I keep searching around but I am getting even more confused.

Which output on the TV would I use?

Is the standard RCA audio output speaker level out, stereo out, line level out....or what??

Are there subwoofers that will have the inputs I need? If so, what inputs does the sub need?

Does anyone know of a sub that would work?

Thank you.

ben12345

You would want to use the RCA Phono (red and white) outputs. These will be 'line level'. First thing to do is to see if there is an option in the menu to allow them to be controlled by the volume settings of the TV. Not many TV's allow this, but some do.

If your tv supports that, then more or less any active subwoofer will work. Just make sure it has a phono/RCA input. If your chosen sub only has one input, you can get away with just using one of the channels. Generally white/left.

clarky_007

Standard Member
"First thing to do is to see if there is an option in the menu to allow them to be controlled by the volume settings of the TV. Not many TV's allow this, but some do."

If my TV does do this there would be some type of menu to lower the volume of the line level outputs to a set level or something?

If my TV doesn't do this then is there another option?

m4rky_m4rk

If my TV doesn't do this then is there another option?

I think you would need a seperate amp to control the volume of the sub. This could be a normal stereo amp. In this case the sub would need speaker level connections and have a built in crossover. Or you could use an AV amp and it would have sub preout to connect to an active sub. Some subs have both ways of hooking up. Of course if you have an amp you might then be tempted to try the TV with stereo speakers or even 5 speakers if using an AV amp. Sound quality should be better. That could be the start of a new hobby :)

Last edited:

Prometheus90210

Novice Member
I BOUGHT A LED TV(DEVANT mel350) AND IM USING USB FOR WATCHING MOVIES...
PLUS I HAVE SUBWOOFER.. I WANT TO USE MY SUBWOOFER DIRECTED TO MY TV.. SO THAT I CAN GET A BEAUTIFUL SOUND..
BUT IT DOESN'T WORK..
I CONNECT MY SUB TO INPUT(RED/WHITE) RCA ON MY TV.. BUT IT DOESN'T WORK...
BUT WHEN I CONNECT THE RCA INPUT OF MY SUB TO EARPHONE SOCKET OF THE TV.. IT WORKS.. BUT THE SOUND IS TO LOW..

WHAT SHOULD I DO?
PLEASE HELP ME//

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
Obviously, the sub needs to be connected to an output (headphones) not an input. There is usually an option in the tv setup to set the ambient headphone level. Either look in the manual or give us the tv model number. Some modern tvs have the option to keep the speakers connected when you plug a jack in the headphone socket.

Alternatively, you need some sort of additional amplification for the feed to the subwoofer.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom