Can I connect a separate Subwoofer to second speaker output on an old NAD 3130 stereo amp?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by jm27, Dec 6, 2018.

1. jm27

jm27
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! I may be trying to do something that is not possible or inadvisable. I have an old NAD 3130 stereo amplifier that I want to use for my son in his room. He has an Amazon EchoDot which we connected via RCA Input and a set of B&W bookshelf speakers in the “A” set of speaker outputs, to play music through the EchoDot. This set up has a richer sound than his previous Harmon Kardon “pre-wired shelf speakers and sub”, but missing the Sub bass notes. The NAD amp does not have dedicated subwoofer outputs and I don’t know enough to know if a sub could be connected to the NAD amp’s second “B” channel or some other way. Will it even work? Would appreciate any help on whether this is possible. Picture of the back of the amp below. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,517
    Yes, there's plenty of subs with a high level (speaker) input.

You can also use a speaker to line level converter if the sub you choose is line in only. These are only about £10, so it's often cheaper to do this with a lower priced sub than buy a more expensive one just for the speaker level input.

3. jm27

jm27
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for that "noiseboy72". So I looked up what a "speaker to line level converter" is as I was not familiar with that :) and I think I see what you're saying....I would connect speaker wire to the left and right of the "B" channel outputs on the NAD amp and then wire the other end to the converter. Then take RCA cables L and R to the "line in" of the sub. Is that correct? Thank you for your help and speedy response. Jiten

4. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +492
    Would there not be a way to do it using the pre-out on the Nad. The picture shows a link fitted but I'm not entirely sure what's going on there.

5. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,517
    Yes, you could use the pre-out and replace the link with a Y cable - 2 of these would be perfect. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075NZD...&pd_rd_r=c57949c5-f99a-11e8-8632-75d0ab6073f5 This would give you the left and right line level output ready to go into the sub. The only thing you wouldn't be able to do would be to switch the sub in and out using the speaker selector switch, but this is probably not a biggy.

6. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +492
    A Y splitter was what I was thinking as you might use if biamping when no easier option was on the cards. Seemed like it might be the cheapest way forward but having never tried it, I didn't want to be the one to recommend it in case I was talking nonsense!

Edit: I just looked at the cable in your link and I'm lost again. I'm assuming that link needs to be in place on the Nad or am I wrong? I was thinking a splitter cable to feed both the 'main in' on amp and sub input from the pre amp out.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  7. jm27

jm27
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both! :) Your replies are more technical than my level so I apologize for not catching on. I am attaching a new photo that shows the inputs more clearly:

Attached Files:

8. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,517
    Pull out the links between Pre-out and Main in. Connect the Y-cable so that you have now re-linked the sockets AND given yourself a spare output for each channel. Simples :) Y Cables.png

9. jm27

jm27
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great! So I need two Y-cables like the ones you sent the link on and a new sub! Thanks. Do you have any suggestions on a reasonably priced Sub? Thanks again! Jiten

10. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,517
    Something like this Cambridge Audio SX120 (Black) is pretty much your starting point. Not the most powerful sub in the world, but very musical and punchy.

11. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +492
  12. jm27

jm27
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks Timmy. I do have plenty of RCA cables! But I don't quite understand where the males would go, how many etc - could you clarify for me please.:)

13. jm27

jm27
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the suggestion - will check this out!:smashin:

14. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +492
    Well this isn't something I've ever done but I did take a quick look at a 3130 manual online so I have based my suggestion on that. As I understand it, those metal links are doing exactly the same job as a pair of RCA cables would do which is simply connecting the pre and power section of the Nad amp together and need to be in place in order to use the Nad as an integrated amp. However, you also want to feed the pre out section to the input on a subwoofer. If you were to remove the metal links and plug those splitter adapters into the pre-outs on the Nad (one for left, one for right) this would create two pre-amp outputs instead of one. You then run one set of RCA cables from the splitter adapter to the 'main in' on the Nad (where the link was originally connected) and the other set to the input on the sub. These ones do the same thing but might be a better design assuming the amp isn't position too tightly up against the wall....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gold-Plate...44451180&sr=1-6&keywords=rca+splitter+adapter