Can I clone my own dvd recorded from a standalone

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JBroadhurst, Jul 22, 2003.

1. JBroadhurst

JBroadhurst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Panasonic E30 and would like to know if I can duplicate my own DVD-R's using my P.C? I've noticed that the files the E30 create are not standard dvd format and I could not duplicate my own discs with Nero. Is there a good piece of software that can do this?
    Any ideas gentleman.
    Thanks in advance.

2. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I don't yet have a DVD-R drive in my computer bit I too would be interested in knowing the answer to this question.

I was under the impression that you simply copy the file contents of your DVD-R to the hard drive and then back again to a new DVD-R disk on your computer DVD-R drive. An identicle clone!!! Should it noy then play in your stand alone machine.???

Yeh...Tell me life aint that simple :)

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    When you tried to copy disc with Nero did you use a wizard or do it manually ?

Did you do a copy disc job OR did you try to load the files to the job manually and record as a data DVD ?

I don't own a stand alone recorder but can't see any reason why you should not be able to exactly duplicate your original disc with a "Copy Disc" job .(It should then burn an image of the original on your hard drive & then burn this to disc as a bit for bit replica)

I do know that Nero has in the past proved problematic for DVD authors when burning Video_TS folders as a data disc. This was because when you burn a DVD-Video disc as a data job the prigram has to recognise this is what you are doing and lay the files to DVD spec (which Nero wasn't doing but was supposed to fixed with an update)

I use RecordNow Max for DVD burning.....V reliable

4. fozzybear

fozzybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have actually copied the files off a dvd made in my Panny E50 onto my hard drive using explorer and then pasted them into a dvd video compilation in nero and burnt it and it seemed to play ok in my dvd player (Pioneer 444). I didn't play it all the way through but I did skip through all the chapter points and it seemed ok. At some point I'll repeat the experiment and play the whole thing, but I think doing that works - perhaps someone else can try this and comment?

5. aaronjon

aaronjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    transfer the VIDEO_TS folder to your h/drive, create an empty AUDIO_TS folder, (remember, upper case specific) open record now max latest version s/ware burner, (imho miles better than nero), select data from the menu (dont use wizard) load both folders and burn.

6. JBroadhurst

JBroadhurst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry what software is it you recommend above Nero?

7. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    RecordNow Max (Retail version of the respected OEM Veritas/Prassi Primo). You can get it at www.orlogix.com

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    The DVD-R files are exactly in accordance with the DVD Video specification. To copy them all you need to do is copy the files to your HDD and then burn onto a new DVD-R. For this I use the DVD Video wizard in Nero 5.5 (although many people seem to have problems with this). It's as simple as that.

If you want to convert DVD-RAM to DVD-R then you need to convert from the Video Recording Format (.VRO). The quickests way is to use a programme like TMPG Author or Moviestudio 2 to import them. Alternatively you could use a programme like TMPG Encoder to demux them into .m2v and .ac3 tracks.

9. JBroadhurst

JBroadhurst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Rasczak, I'm sure this is what I did within Nero (using the wizard) but with no success. What could I have done wrong? Can I duplicate the dvd-r within Nero or do I need to copy the files to the hard drive first?
    Could you please elaborate exactly what I need to do.
    I would hope I could do this with Nero.
    Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Well as I said all I did was a simple file transfer from the DVD-R to the HDD. Loaded up Nero 5.5, ran the DVD Video wizard, selected the files from within the Video_TS folder I copied to the HDD and burnt the DVD. It was as simple as that. I know it works because I have made around 80 backups like this (all of which, bar 1 coaster, work).

11. JBroadhurst

JBroadhurst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Rasczak, Followed your instructions and have now started to back up my dvd-r's.

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Glad it worked - looking back at my posts I have to apologise for not really giving more details. I was snowed under with work at the time so couldn't devote much time to the forums.

I record on original on a Panasonic DVD-R (due to the fact I know they are High Quality and Panasonic state they should last 90 years). However I also make a backup on a cheap DVD-R (normally Mirror or FWS) which I use as a daily working copy and make a backup on JVC/Pioneer/TDK/Maxwell DVD-Rs as a high quality backup (I burn a new copy every 48 months). My reasoning being that three types of media are not going to all fail at the same time and, should the cheap daily use one be damaged, I can quickly burn another.

13. Tunes Man

Tunes Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that you only have your Panasonic E30 and a computer, but I wanted to do the same thing, but without using my computer, which didn't have a dvd burner at the time. I do own one now that has a dvd burner.

I see that you've found your solution to your problem now, but I chose another way to do what you're doing by buying another Panasonic dvd recorder. I already own a Panasonic E30, but I became interested in the one that has a 40 gig hard drive and a dvd recorder drive in the same deck, which is the DMR-HS2. With the HS2, you can record your dvd-r onto the internal hard drive and a duplicate of your dvd-r is now ready to be duplicated onto as many dvd-r's as you wish. I assume that you're talking about a
    movie on your original dvd-r, and not data files, correct? You must
    be if you said it was originally recorded on your E30.

What I like to do is record a movie from one of my cable channels onto the hard drive of my HS2, then remove the commercials, and then record the final edited version onto a blank dvd-r in the same deck. I've done this with numerous movies and shows.

Not taking anything away from computer editing, which I also do, but the Panasonic decks make a complicated task so much easier.

Anyway, good luck with your duplicating!

Tunes Man.