Can I claim money back from parts I recently purchased if car is written off?

tony kop77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Honda civic type r gt 2010 plate it's done 78,000 miles. Three weeks ago I purchased 2 perelli tyres had shock absorber replaced and purchased a new ecu all in all costing me £1300

Two weeks ago my car was parked on a private resident road I park there everytime when I get coach to football only this occasion I returned to find a bmw come off a dull carriage way down the verge and into front of my car. I was just curious can I get money back of written off and auto trader has private sale of my car around £6500 but they might only offer me 5k that's maybe book price I'm gutted as I loved the car and always took it to main dealer all stamped serviced etc

You'll just get what they consider the on the road price is. They won't take into consideration you've just spent £1300 on it unfortunately.

The aim of the insurance is in theory to get you back to the same place as a your were before the event/loss. In this case if you can buy 1 2010 Type R with 78,000miles on the clock for around £5k then this is what they will give you. If you can show evidence that a car of the same condition yours was is for example £6k then you can show evidence of this and ask for more. You may not get it all but you may get an increase. In any case you should always take their first offer as an offer and a starting point to negogiate from.

Thank you guys. I have all receipts or work I have done to my car since I purchased it 5 years ago. Gutted I bought ecu now as that was £700 plan was to keep it a few year as it was low mileage and ran without problems.
I think I have seen 1 car for 5k or just under but most of the private sales are around 6k although doesn't seem to be lots of them on auto trader for sale.

Girlfriend works for a family run car sales where they have Nissan, Honda and 2 others I forget and her boss said there was a good chance I would get money back that I spent but couldn't promise that's why I thought I ask you guys as I have never heard of that before
We buy any car quoted my car 4k to buy but obviously they offer less than its value as they see it as quick sale Thank you for the replies

If it is written off, buy back as salvage, strip for parts and be better off :)

You still get your regular payout.

As it sounds like a complete no fault accident then they should put you back in the position you were before the accident.
That probably won't cover your parts but expect a poor first offer on the value of your car.
Find some comparable cars that show the true cost of replacing your car like for like and reject their offer if it doesn't cover putting you back where you were.

As it sounds like a complete no fault accident then they should put you back in the position you were before the accident.
That probably won't cover your parts but expect a poor first offer on the value of your car.
Find some comparable cars that show the true cost of replacing your car like for like and reject their offer if it doesn't cover putting you back where you were.

I fought Admiral for weeks and they didn’t budge on their offer for my CAT C write off.

I fought Admiral for weeks and they didn’t budge on their offer for my CAT C write off.
That's very disappointing to hear. Was the write off another driver's fault?
If the 3rd party won't move then I'd use my Insurance legal cover involved - no way should you be out of pocket for someone else's mistake.

That's very disappointing to hear. Was the write off another driver's fault?
If the 3rd party won't move then I'd use my Insurance legal cover involved - no way should you be out of pocket for someone else's mistake.

Yup, rear ended at traffic lights.

That's rubbish.

Yup. They go via trade valuations. At the time there were only 2 for sale in the country, both about £1000 more than they were willing to pay out.

In the end i had to flip the salavage wreck on ebay to make up the short fall.

As you can see he hit my front and went over the roundabout onto the dual carriageway he came off the carriageway down the verge and into my car

Attachments

• 20190220_015750.jpg
    20190220_015750.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
I’m guessing he ran outta skill.

There are two roundabouts near me that every winter always have a car in the hedge facing backwards where a driver has binned it.

Over recent years, Nissan 350z, MG B, Vauxhall Corsa and some chav mobile.

Accompanying the car is usually a driver stood at the roadside scratching their heads :laugh:

I don't see how anyone can do what he did. I miss having the acceleration for round abouts when pulling off. I dare not pull out as this hire car is so slow in comparison well its a fiat tippo and I had Honda type r before.
I have never had any points etc just my luck to have points in a tippo haha. I'm not a speeder I just like acceleration for pulling out on roundabouts or when stuck behind lorry etc

First thing the guy that rang me said my brother in law was the driver he wasn't drunk something just happened. I didn't get angry or anything as wouldn't achieve anything I be more upset if someone broke into my home I'm just a bit gutted as I liked the car and fun to drive hopefully I can find a car just as nice and fun to drive although these days a nice 10 year old car is around 8k

Been offered £6800after I turned down £6300. I’m now thinking of getting either a Volkswagen scirocco 2.0 2010 or 09 plate or Honda type r between 07 and 09 plate. I think the Honda is better value and I had no problems with mine but I purchased mine when it was 4 years old always used v power petrol, took it to main dealer and used best oil and looked after it as well as I could while it was under average miles. I doubt I will get another car like as I was fortunate paying £9200 for a car 4 year old type r which had done 34,000 from garage

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom