• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Can i claim for a new ps3 off my house insurance?

Amgzone

Standard Member
Hello all,

Long time reader, first time poster.

Just a quick question really, i was moving room the other day when i dropped my ps3 down the stairs, ofcourse its completly broke, doesnt even switch on. So was wondering if i can claim for a new one off house insurance? As i can't afford to go out and fork out 250 quid for a new one.

Thanks

Sly

Established Member
would guess it depends on the terms of your insurance. give them a ring and ask them the worst they can do is say no!

Aakeeb

Standard Member
It would increase your insurance price, that's why I have a seperate insurance for home contents ;)

I've got the disc reading error, I might try to smash my PS3

and claim some ££ ;)

fozziebear39

Established Member
Amgzone, I would imagine you would have some sort of excess as well so you wouldn't get the full amount, and you would need to have accidental cover.

Aakeeb, why don't you go the full hog and organise your house to get 'burgled' :mad: I am sure their is a forum rule about encouraging fraud!

Fmrl

Prominent Member
IMO the problem with claiming from your home insurance - you will pay the excess and then you'll more than likely find that your premium will have increased at next renewal. If you then decide to transfer to another insurance company then they will want to know about any claims you've made and increase their quote because of it. Most insurance companies want to know about any claims you've made over the last five years so this could work out to be more expensive than just buying a new PS3. YMMV

AnthonyG

Distinguished Member
You could possibly claim off your Home contents insurance but as said it will increase your renewal premiums making it long term likely more expensive.

You would be better off just buying a new console on either a credit card or from somewhere that offers buy now pay later 0% APR.

You can get credit cards that offer 3 or 6 months 0% APR on new purchases, or you can buy on one and immediately do a balance transfer if you have any offers for cheap balance transfers from your card company.

You could always then ebay your knackered console for spare parts. I can guarentee you someone will buy it.

gday2uk

Standard Member
It seems no one here has protected no-claims on their building & contents insurance? It works the same as on a car :rolleyes:

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Just claim on your house insurance. It will go up next year anyway (as they always do) and you should never just renew, ring around and you will get it cheaper.

What's the point in having contents insurance with accidental damage if you never use it.:rolleyes:

I claimed for a dropped laptop about 3yrs ago. Sure enough renewal came through higher as always. Rang around and got it from another Ins. co cheaper.

the187kid

Established Member
yes your insurance will go up next year, as stated before it always does, but I doubt it will go up by the amount of a PS3 Package: new console + the price of a new DS3 + potentially a free game. (plus you already have a controller for current ps3)

You need to do some maths, and work out if its worthwhile or not

eg (new console + the price of a new DS3(which u can sell) + potentially a free game -

Excess to pay on initial claim, potential increase in premiums next year )

This is part of the reason you pay for the optional extras on your insurance policy.

Finally when policy ends jump ship and go elsewhere.

Stuey1

Prominent Member
It seems no one here has protected no-claims on their building & contents insurance? It works the same as on a car :rolleyes:

It does work exactly the same as on a car you are right - The no claims bonus is a certain percentage off what the quote would be without your no claims bonus so for example my no claims bonus is 50% off my quote of £300 therefore making my quote with bonus £150 - now i smash my PS3 to pieces and claim on insurance and my new renewal quote is £400 still with my protected no claims bonus i get 50% off therefore making my new price £200....

therefore nullifying the claim that protected no claims bonus means no increase in renewal....

PS im not saying the NCB is not good im just saying its not completely as it seems... hope that makes sense

Fmrl

Prominent Member

You pay extra for accidental damage and protected no claims, and if you do make a claim then it's likely your premium will go up at next renewal (even if you've got your no claims protection!).

If you make a BIG claim then it's worth having this but if it's just for a PS3 then I'm not sure if it's worth bothering with.

DenzilTK421

Established Member
It would increase your insurance price, that's why I have a seperate insurance for home contents ;)

I've got the disc reading error, I might try to smash my PS3

and claim some ££ ;)

Here lays the reason we all have to pay more each year for insurance. :thumbsdow

OP should be fine to claim, but there would no doubt be an excess, and maybe an increase on next years premium - and as such it might not be worth claiming and just buy a new PS3.
Although you could take Aakeeb's line of thought a bit further - burn your house down and claim for everything - that way you could replace everything thats a bit old.

Fmrl

Prominent Member
Although you could take Aakeeb's line of thought a bit further - burn your house down and claim for everything - that way you could replace everything thats a bit old.

...or visit a dodgy local pub and offer someone £50 to do your house over. :eek::rotfl:

DenzilTK421

Established Member
...or visit a dodgy local pub and offer someone £50 to do your house over. :eek::rotfl:

Even better - get them to ram your own car into your house, then you can get a new car too. If you are the passenger, claim for whiplash - insurance companies have bottomless pits of cash - they never have to charge the customer more to ensure they still make a profit - its all good - no one has to pay :mad:

gday2uk

Standard Member
It does work exactly the same as on a car you are right - therefore nullifying the claim that protected no claims bonus means no increase in renewal....

That's better.

You will only get your annual increase in premium and not be penalised for claiming.

Stuey1

Prominent Member
That's better.

You will only get your annual increase in premium and not be penalised for claiming.

That wasn't my point, my point was that having protected no claims bonus does not mean that claiming won't affect the cost of renewal, even if you decidee to go to another insurance company you still have to declare that you have claimed in the past x number of years and therefore you will run the risk of your premium increasing above the normal annual increase (im not saying it will definitely go up more than usual) but the protected no claims does not protect you against an increase because of your claim it just means you keep getting a discount.

And if anyone wondered why there insurance premiums rise every year then this thread is a prime example....

pwood

Prominent Member
OP I doubt you will be covered as you had to ask in the first place which indicates you did not pay much attention to the policy when taken out. Almost all quotes do not have accidental cover unless you specifically tick the box or request it as the increase in premium is a lot.

Many of the larger insurance companies are starting to install voice monitoring software which detects changes in vocal inflections . That in itself cannot be used to prove anyone is a liar but this tends to then cause a visit from the insurer to check the damage and speak with the claimant if they suspect a pork pie.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom