Quantcast

Question Can I Chromecast through a projector?

iedwards1919

Novice Member
I’m not sure if I am in the right Forum but here goes.
I have a projector in my theatre room which is connected to an HDMI splitter. I have a set top box, an amplifier and a Foxtel box. The images are projected onto a cinema screen.
I want to get rid of my Foxtel box and use a Chromecast.
Where would I plug the Chromecast in and how would the sound reach the amplifier?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
From the display perspective chromecast is just a standard HDMI device so you can plug it in the same way as any other device that uses HDMI for audio and video.

iedwards1919

Novice Member
From the display perspective chromecast is just a standard HDMI device so you can plug it in the same way as any other device that uses HDMI for audio and video.
Thanks for the reply. However, I f I plugged the Chromecast into the projector I cannot see how it would get sound to the amplifier. Am I missing the obvious here?

iedwards1919

Novice Member
Do you presently have your projector connected to your amp?
Does the projector have an audio output?, some have a 3.5mm stereo minijack out.
The Foxtel box is connected to the amp through audio cables.
the projector has the blue, green, red and yellow line outputs.
Is there any other info I can give you as I have no idea!!

JayCee

Distinguished Member
The Foxtel box is connected to the amp through audio cables
You said you're planning on getting rid of that so that info is redundant.
All I need to know is whether your projector has an HDMI input and audio output, so, with that in mind what is the brand and model no of your projector and your amp?

iedwards1919

Novice Member
You said you're planning on getting rid of that so that info is redundant.
All I need to know is whether your projector has an HDMI input and audio output, so, with that in mind what is the brand and model no of your projector and your amp?
Thank you for your patience with me.
The amplifier is a Kenwood KRF-V5200D
The projector is a Sony VPL-AW15

JayCee

Distinguished Member
The projector has no audio out so the only way it can be done is to use an HDMI Audio Extractor.
So the Chromecast would plug into the HDMI audio extractor, HDMI out from the extractor to HDMI in on your projector and the stereo audio out from the extractor (either Optical or RCA Phono) to your amp.
I know you’re in Australia, this extractor from Amazon UK or similar ones will be available from Amazon Aus
[https://www.amazon.co.uk/eSynic-Con...ds=hdmi+audio+extractor&qid=1590012653&sr=8-4 URL unfurl="true"]https://www.amazon.co.uk/eSynic-Converter-Extractor-Adapter-Splitter-HDMI/dp/B0183FQAXO/ref=sr_1_4?adgrpid=55730509320&dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwqpP2BRBTEiwAfpiD-_SvoUuKsB_8rmEdRELHFOcShVxkqy_cS_4g9gMWgJjBLjYEwPy6VRoCQz8QAvD_BwE&hvadid=259046374681&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=9046916&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=3608875033486450127&hvtargid=kwd-297516821018&hydadcr=5082_1827834&keywords=hdmi+audio+extractor&qid=1590012653&sr=8-4[/URL]
Good luck.

iedwards1919

Novice Member
The projector has no audio out so the only way it can be done is to use an HDMI Audio Extractor.
So the Chromecast would plug into the HDMI audio extractor, HDMI out from the extractor to HDMI in on your projector and the stereo audio out from the extractor (either Optical or RCA Phono) to your amp.
I know you’re in Australia, this extractor from Amazon UK or similar ones will be available from Amazon Aus
[https://www.amazon.co.uk/eSynic-Con...ds=hdmi+audio+extractor&qid=1590012653&sr=8-4 URL unfurl="true"]https://www.amazon.co.uk/eSynic-Converter-Extractor-Adapter-Splitter-HDMI/dp/B0183FQAXO/ref=sr_1_4?adgrpid=55730509320&dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwqpP2BRBTEiwAfpiD-_SvoUuKsB_8rmEdRELHFOcShVxkqy_cS_4g9gMWgJjBLjYEwPy6VRoCQz8QAvD_BwE&hvadid=259046374681&hvdev=t&hvlocphy=9046916&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=3608875033486450127&hvtargid=kwd-297516821018&hydadcr=5082_1827834&keywords=hdmi+audio+extractor&qid=1590012653&sr=8-4[/URL]
Good luck.
Thanks so much. I am actually in Australia but probably set my profile up incorrectly!
do I have a choice of using either optical or RCA based on my amp? If so, which would you recommend please.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Your profile is showing as Perth and there's only 2 that I'm aware of, Perth here in Scotland or your own fair city in Australia. I originally mistakenly thought you were based in the US but then edited my reply after checking your profile so you did nothing wrong 😄
Optical is a neater tidier connection but the quality would be no better than using the RCA from the extractor. Use either.

iedwards1919

Novice Member
Your profile is showing as Perth and there's only 2 that I'm aware of, Perth here in Scotland or your own fair city in Australia. I originally mistakenly thought you were based in the US but then edited my reply after checking your profile so you did nothing wrong 😄
Optical is a neater tidier connection but the quality would be no better than using the RCA from the extractor. Use either.
Thanks so much.

iedwards1919

Novice Member
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Right. Not too successful.
I bought a Concord HDMI Audio Extractor and wired it all up. Picture comes through great but no sound. I tried an optical cable and even tried it through the headphone jack in the HDMI Extractor but just got silence.
what could I be doing wrong please???

JayCee

Distinguished Member
When you say you tried from the headphone jack on the HDMI extractor was that using headphones?
If there was no sound from the headphones the fault is in the extractor or the source.
Things to try...
Make sure the Chromecast and iPhone are both connected to the same WiFi network.
Try turning up the volume on the iPhone.
Try casting from something else.
There are some Chromecast troubleshootings steps here...

iedwards1919

Novice Member
When you say you tried from the headphone jack on the HDMI extractor was that using headphones?
If there was no sound from the headphones the fault is in the extractor or the source.
Things to try...
Make sure the Chromecast and iPhone are both connected to the same WiFi network.
Try turning up the volume on the iPhone.
Try casting from something else.
There are some Chromecast troubleshootings steps here...
Thank you. I will give it a go in the morning. I suspect that I may have had the phone volume down. Really appreciate all your guidance.