1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I choose a Digibox?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Tim Ingman, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Tim Ingman

Tim Ingman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reluctantly going Sky after demise of ITVDigital. Every installer I have approached so far will not let me choose the type of Digibox I want. Where do I go to get this option?
    Also any recomendations - I want one with Digital Audio output ( Sony or Paanasonic?)

2. ricke

ricke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to a company called gammacom, based in north london. They gave me a choice, I went for the sony, looks good and haven't had any performance issues with it. I'm not sure if it makes a big difference, but it matches my current TV etc.

http://www.gammacom.co.uk

3. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    You can choose, but not if you go through $ky I'm led to believe.

Look up a CAI certified installer in the Yellow Pages.

Oh, and $ky have stopped all subsidies on the Sony box, which goes out of production at the end of this month I hear.

4. ricke

ricke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :( Damn I only just got it as well !!! Just hope it doesn't pack up......I guess the installers would get me another one if it does.

5. Steve_e42

Steve_e42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guess there is no chance now that the sony digibox will ever be DD 5.1 enabled? I got my sony as a second box, so the installer did give me a choice, in fact I had to pay a little extra for the sony.

6. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Sony have promised service support for their digiboxes for the future.

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe they will do 5.1 now they are not contracted to sky!

DaveP

8. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    It's a possibility, though unlikely if Sony pull out of the digibox market. Perhaps they could lend their technical assistance to a company like Videotec.

Although their prime concern has been the modification of laserdisc players and A/V amps maybe, just maybe, they would consider this sort of thing.

Of course it may just be a case of a firmware upgrade at one's local Sony centre if it eventually happens...

9. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have just applied for Sky through the net and now realise I am at their mercy regarding how they install it (cheapest solution rather than nice fluch wall sockets) and what box I get.

Does anyone know what model Sky prefer to foist on there customers or is it completely random? Can I insist that it have digital out and can I insist that they use wall sockets?

10. ricke

ricke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nunew3,

Not sure about the wall sockets, but I think they'll either give you a Grundig or Pace. If you've read other similar threads there have been instances of "refurbished" boxes being dished :D out. I would check with them if possible. Having said that I don't believe the actual box type makes a big difference, I went for the sony because i liked to look of it and it matches my (soon to be replaced) sony tv.

11. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Being sad I went out 2day and bought a What Satellite. My eyes have now been opened to the world of satellite and the demise into "couch potato"dom. Looking through that it showed the Grundig, Amstrad, panasonic and Pace as Free with Sky but not the sony, but isnt the sony the only one with digital out for sound which would make it the preferred option with the amp I have!

The magazine was a real insight, and I thought all there was to it was a dish and decoder!! Do people really pay £500 for Multi satellite decoders and £200 installation costs?

Once I get one is there an option to swap or is it basically mine and any model swap has to be self funded?

I have phoned sky who said its up to the engineer on the day what I got and what was in his van as to whether he'll accomodate me. But he is contractually obliged to give me the minimum and anything else is goodwill

12. Tim Ingman

Tim Ingman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies. I have now managed to locate an independant installer who will give me a choice. His charges are higher than average (£115-120) but he promises a more comprehensive service, taking time to get the best signal and demonstrate the menus etc. Incidentally, he says the Sony is no longer available and reccommends the Panasonic for quality and reliability - alas no digital out.

This is the way I am going, albeit a bit more to pay. I don't like the "take it or leave it" attitude of other installers I have spoken to, and don't like dealing with the likes of Dixons or Currys.

13. chenko

chenko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alot of people that have asked this question on the other boards have said that theyve asked the engineer if he has any others, and they usally do have a few other models with them and are generally happy to let you choose... thou some of these others are not all new thou

14. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I read that they cease production in July which would surely mean they will be available till August?

15. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently most, if not all, Sky digiboxes have a digital output but they are not obvious like the Sony boxes. I have been told that the Panny box I have has the facility on the back but covered up. As it can't output DD5.1 anyway, I've not bothered looking.

16. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    The satellite scene is huge.Take a trip to modshack or satdudez and peruse the sat forums.There is an immense selection of programs available from sport,latest movies and if it's your thing,adult entertainment. :eek: The [*]Samsung 9500[/URL] @£239 may be of interest.

[Link removed as it's no longer relevant and points to piracy hardware]