Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Can I Change The Speakers

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by louishm, Jun 9, 2005.

1. louishm

louishm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi.
    I Have A Panasonic Sc-dt110 Home Cinema 5.1 Dvd Player And I Am In The Process Of Creating A Home Theatre. Unfortunately The Speakers Aren't Much To Look At So Is It Possible To Buy A Nice 5.1 Set And Change Them. Do I Have To Look For Ohms And Impediance And All That Stuff Or Can I Just Buy Anything And Change Them Over To Something That Would Look Nice In The Room..
    Any Advice Would Be A Help

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes, you need to check the impedance of the speakers. The rule is simple: you can connect speakers with a HIGHER rating than the amp says and you'll be fine, albeit slightly less loud at any given volme setting. Unless you know what you're doing NEVER connect speakers with a lower impedance.

Thus, if your amp wants, say, 8 ohm speakers you can safely connect 16 ohm speaker but not 4 ohm ones.

Obviously the ideal is go match exactly, ie. 8 into 8, and most speaker systems are in fact 8 or 16 in my (albeit limited) experience.

3. louishm

louishm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks For The Advice Much Appreciated