Can I change rgb to cvbs

thyristor44

Standard Member
Hello
I have a dm500s clone sat receiver and crt tv. I get good crisp image on cvbs output. The problem comes with my new dm800se, it only gives hdmi and pal output to the scart. Pal is blured and poor colour and tv isnt hdmi. Any way round this without buying a hdmi receiver.
Thanks
thyristor44

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Confused by what you mean by PAL output :confused:

The scart cable should have a composite output and may also have RGB. RGB will give a much better picture if connected by a fully wired scart lead to a TV scart with RGB support. Composite delivers the worst quality pictures there is.

drphibes

Does you tv have more than one scart socket ? If it does try the others especially scart number one and set the dm800se to output rgb.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
have you tried swapping leads .. a really cheap lead can mess analogue

are you using two av outputs- phono or scart ?

it does sound like just a cheapened composite output - I've noticed some decent manufacturers are doing that & just keeping the composite as a bodged analogue to digital legacy thing & really just concentrating on hd/hdmi quality - especially TVs.

if you do have rgb output as per your title .. you can [or used to able to] get rgb to composite &/or rgb to s-video converters that usually did a very clean job if the RGB was good - not cheap though & again it depends how good the RGB is - like for like, build quality wise, they go in the order Graham has said - but it also does depend how well a manufacturer has implimented each of them & also if an stb output just doesn't like a brand of tv.

you could check the composite output voltage .. [1v p-p]- it might just be low & an AV amp will lift it- or pick up an old AV camcorder mixer & tweak it with that

Last edited:

thyristor44

Standard Member
Video output is scart or hdmi, mode in scart is pal multi or ntsc. The tv has only one scart ip and I have tried a few scart leads. I think it does sound likely that analogue output is bodged and box is mainly for hdmi. I will eventually get a digital tv but not yet. Just have to accept worse picture.
Thanks very much for all the help and suggestions.
thyristor44

Video output is scart or hdmi, mode in scart is pal multi or ntsc. The tv has only one scart ip and I have tried a few scart leads. I think it does sound likely that analogue output is bodged and box is mainly for hdmi. I will eventually get a digital tv but not yet. Just have to accept worse picture.
thyristor44

Last edited by a moderator:

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
thyristor44

thyristor44
PAL will be cvbs, ,multi will most likely be RGB.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
thyristor44

do have a look for a used video mixer [ebay] - you should get one very cheap now to see if you can tweak the video output.

Last edited:

thyristor44

Standard Member
Its not only the poor colour its the lack of focus. Hdmi gives the better focus but the modes like 4:3, letterbox that are all wrong. If pal is cvbs then I have no hope as on my dm500s on cvbs the picture is very good.
The video mixers all looked expensive unless I was looking for the wrong thing.
Its a cheap clone dm800se with an integral triple tuner. Where does the scart signal come from.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
I only meant this type - - but it sounds like it might not do it

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom